• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should rabbits have a friend?

shibby69

Warren Scout
are rabbits okay by themselves? i have kaspar, and his brother was pts because he was ill, and kaspar is lonely i think. is he alright alone or not?

They do prefer to have company for when you aren't around, especially as Kaspar is used to having had his brother around. Is he neutered? or would you consider getting him neutered? You could always get him a girlfriend to live with then :wink: Rescues are a great place to start looking for a friend for him :D

he hasnt been neutered, but i would consider it. how much room will they need? kaspar is in an indoor cage as the rabbit hutch him and his brother shared was falling to pieces! i bought him an indoor cage, but i keep him out in my room most of the day, and he has an hour on his lead a day, because i havent had chance to buy him a rabbit run. i would go to a rescue, but im only 16 so the bun would have to be in my mums name wouldnt it?

hi

Benny lost his brother Pepsi a month ago - He seemed very frightened outside on his own, so I got the 5 girls for him to bond with - but that was too much!! I had to coax him to eat when he was outside on his own - I put him in a cage in the kitchen 'temporarily' when he didn't get on with the girls - and he's really happy and chilled out there - eating like a horse and seems totally relaxed...I'm not in any hurry to bond him with another bunny as it's stressful for them initially.

But if he was living outside I'd definitely get a friend sorted for him as it's quite scary outside with noises and cats and the wind howling - bunnies give each other a lot of comfort when they (eventually :roll: ) get bonded.

Your bunny would def need to be neutered before he could be bonded - he would start a fight with a female by pestering for sex all the time, or he would fight with another male most likely. It takes about 2 months for the fertility to go down after neutering though - so don't put him with a female before then - although usually it would take a few weeks of living in cages alongside each other before you would introduce them in a new area.

kaspar isn't outside anymore, but he just seems bored when i put him back in his cage. id love to have him out all the time but with three dogs and nine cats its difficult.

hi

rabbits just sleep most of the middle of the day anyway (about 11am - 4pm) - he probably enjoys the peace and quiet in there :)

It's a tricky one isn't it? Squidgy lives inside wih us on his own and is perfectly content ( we both do a lot of work from home), but he's never had a bunny friend before. Bobby and Nougat are outside, and I think it's best for them to be together, especially as Bobby's previous friend died. At the moment they are separate, as I am nursing Nougat back from fly strike :cry: and I don't liket he fact that they're on their own. (Nougat rejected Bobby when I tried to put them together - think she feels too poorly :cry: :cry: :cry: )
If Kasparis used to company, it may be worth getting nim neutered and taking him along to a rescue to see if there are any little girls he falls in love with.

Yes! :)

I'd definitely say that the vast majority of bunnies are happiest with another bunny. Good luck getting a friend for your bunny!

AMETHYST

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all rabbits like the company of another rabbit! i dont think they should be kept alone as there are very sociable aniimals and do enjoy the company of their own kind.

i would advise you to get your boy neutered then see if any rescues near you have anything suitable.

sophie

Bunnster said:
They do prefer to have company for when you aren't around, especially as Kaspar is used to having had his brother around. Is he neutered? or would you consider getting him neutered? You could always get him a girlfriend to live with then :wink: Rescues are a great place to start looking for a friend for him :D

Bunnster, on your signature photo, why is the bunny on the far right has such different fur below his neck?

Back