• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He's starting digging! grrr!

BevBunny

Mama Doe
Charlie has never been a digger and then about 2 weeks ago he's started, and I can't understand why. So am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

They have a small litter tray in the cage and with a layer of pressed wooden cat litter in it, no sooner have I put the clean tray in the cage when he jumps in it and starts pushing/digging and throwing the litter all over the place. This means that more often than not ther eisn't enough litter in the tray to soak the wee up and it smells. Not to mention the mess in the cage and my lounge!

I've done/checked everything I can think of:
- he can't be bored he's got the worlds amount of things to play with, but I've given him new toys as well
- he's not lonely, he's got Lavender with him
- I've cut his claws thinking he might be trying to wear them down

So, any ideas or suggestions?

Have you tried giving him a digging box? A cardboard box or plastic crate filled with stuff he can dig in e.g. shredded paper, straw/hay etc.

Digging is natural bunny behaviour, he doesn't get the mess issue. You probably stand more chance of changing where he's digging that stopping it altogether.

Just be grateful it's not the carpet he's digging up ;) :lol:

Tam

hi

Maa did this for the first 3 weeks I had the girls - I was very cross at my nice clean boxes being messed up - and she would trash the days hay in the process....Then one day she stopped....haven't a clue why!

bunnies eh - gotta love em :roll:

Back