• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

no where neutral to bond!?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hagrid has been neutered just over 4 weeks, so in a couple of weeks i want to bond my giants! trouble is the are both house rabbits, so there is no where neutral in the house and hagrid cannot go in the garden as he gets diarohia (sp?) if he eats anything in the garden! so where can i bond them! the car would be silly because they are both big!

the got out together before he was neutered (thanks god she wasnt pregnant) and there was no agression because they live in runs next to each other, i am wondering if i can just let them out togther and hope they will just gett a long they are both very placid!

also is it the same clearance time for giants standard 6 weeks?

eve x

could you not try bonding them round a friends house, or even in the bath!

is your girl bunny neutered? if she is she should be fine to bond with hagrid after 6 weeks.

hope the bonding goes well! fingers crossed! it is always so much nicer when it is love at first sight!

sophie

sophiemarmion said:
could you not try bonding them round a friends house, or even in the bath!

is your girl bunny neutered? if she is she should be fine to bond with hagrid after 6 weeks.

hope the bonding goes well! fingers crossed! it is always so much nicer when it is love at first sight!

sophie

havent got a bath just a shower room and they go in there! and they would be too big for a bath anyway, i did not want to stress them out with a car trip, and no she is not neutered! i dont really want to put here through a op like that whilst she is still very young!

have you a patio area you could fence of so that they couldent get to plants ect or a dog cage that you could put out side with them in but as thy are so big this might not work

Thats what I thought, how about a friend or relative's house?

Also if you have an animal refuge near by they may be willing to allow you to introduce them in a stable or other area they have, if you ask very nicely! And especially if you got your rabbits from the refuge I'm sure they'd let you do intros there.

havent got a bath just a shower room and they go in there! and they would be too big for a bath anyway, i did not want to stress them out with a car trip, and no she is not neutered! i dont really want to put here through a op like that whilst she is still very young!

It sounds a little cruel but maybe if they were a little stressed on the car journey, once in neutral teritory things may go smoothly? They obviously know each others smell sharing the same house so it may go well fingers crossed for you

kim 106 said:
have you a patio area you could fence of so that they couldent get to plants ect or a dog cage that you could put out side with them in but as thy are so big this might not work

I HAVE A RUN ON THE PATIO THAT HAGRIDS USES AS HE CANT GO ON THE GRASS, SO THAT RULES THAT ONE OUT! :roll:

5cutebunnies said:

It sounds a little cruel but maybe if they were a little stressed on the car journey, once in neutral teritory things may go smoothly? They obviously know each others smell sharing the same house so it may go well fingers crossed for you

They are both british giants, room in the car for two giants!

eve x

I know it is recommended to bond rabbits in neutral territory, however if they have both had the run of the house and have smelt each other and therefore the place has both their smells.. could you not just try it and see what happens? If it is not successful then you would have to rack ya brains for where to try.
The reason i say this is because when i got Nala her cage was always in view of Simba so they could smell each other and i used to get her out when he was around. Although i separated them for runs for a while in separate rooms they had both ran around both rooms. When i let them together for the first time they were in the room they had both ran around in and they were fine. I know this is not always so simple but if they are pretty laid back and are already used to each other could it be worth a try?
The only other place i can think of is a shed/garage if you have one?

Diddeen said:
I know it is recommended to bond rabbits in neutral territory, however if they have both had the run of the house and have smelt each other and therefore the place has both their smells.. could you not just try it and see what happens? If it is not successful then you would have to rack ya brains for where to try.
The reason i say this is because when i got Nala her cage was always in view of Simba so they could smell each other and i used to get her out when he was around. Although i separated them for runs for a while in separate rooms they had both ran around both rooms. When i let them together for the first time they were in the room they had both ran around in and they were fine. I know this is not always so simple but if they are pretty laid back and are already used to each other could it be worth a try?
The only other place i can think of is a shed/garage if you have one?

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINGING CHRIS as i mentioned before they got out together(unsupervised) and there were fine. plus i dont have a shed or gargae that is not full up with bunnys!

eve x

If you have a patio and a run, could you give it a good clean down with a scented cleaner, then wash it down thoroughly to get rid of any traces of the product and use that. Otherwise put some cardboard on the ground. If they have previoulsy been together without a problem hopefully this will be an easy introduction.

Janice

Diddeen said:

I was about to say the same, Charlie and Lavender lived in the same room before they were bonded. We used to let them out for separate playtimes but they used the same litter tray etc. We tried bonding them in the hall way which we cleaned thoroughly even though neither of them went there and made it very neutral. They did nothing but fight!

So we gave up on that and a week or so later we let them out together in the lounge where they were living, they chased a bit and kept running back to their own cages but after they calmed down a bit they were fine, we haven't separated them since.

By the sound of it you don'thave much option, just have a go and see what happens, if it doesn't work well then you can look at other options. I know advice is always neutral territory but its not like they've never seen each other, so perhaps common territory is OK.

Lots of luck whatever you decide to do. :D

If they usually have the run of the same space at seperate times and can see each other I'd try them in whichever room they use least. If you want to make it neutral you could stick a tarp on floor.

I think from their previous history (touch wood) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Tam

Back