• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

leaving rabbits out at night

MY RABBITS CURRENTLY STAY IN THEIE HUTCHES AT NIGHT AND GO IN THEIR RUN ALL DAY, BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN LEAVE THEM OUT ALL NIGHT? THEIR RUN HAS SHELTER, PLENTY OF TOUS AND HAY, BUT I AM WORRIED THAT RATS COULD GET THEM AND HURT THEM. I KNOW THIS MAY SOUNDS STUPID, BUT I WAS TOLD THAT IF RATS CAN GET IN YOUR GARDEN THEY CAN ATTACK THEM?

i would never leave my rabbits out at night, not because of rats but because of foxes! i always cover my bunnies over at night time, so that the foxes cant see them and the bunnies cant see the foxes. rabbits can get very stressed out and could get very panicky if they see a fox and have no where to run and hide. it is better to be safe rather than sorry so i would keep them inside where they are safe so a fox cant get them.

if they are out all day then there is no reason why they should be out at night too, it wont be as if they arent getting enough exercise.

sophie

THANKS FOR THAT. I WANT TO KNOW THOUGH AM I BEING CRUEL, MY MALE BUNNY IS 4YRS OLD AND MY FEMALE ONE IS 2, THEY GO OUT IN THE RUN ALL DAY TOGETHER BUT I KEEP THEM SEPARATED WHEN THEY ARE IN THEIR HUTCHES, DUE TO THEM BOTH WEEING AND POOING IN DIFFERENT PLACES SHE DOESN'T USE HIS TRAY WHEN IN WITH HIM!!!!

What a shame they cant spend their nights together. I would really recommend that if you can that they do - even if it means having to clean them out every day!

And I agree with previous advice - dont leave the bunnies out at night. I lost 2 bunnies many years ago when I was 16 to a fox. My mum found what was left of them and it was an experience I wouldnt want anyone else to go through.

Word of warning as well is that foxes are coming more and more into peoples homes (has been in the papers this weekend) - so keep the back door closed if you have house buns.

my rabbits are left in there runs with attached shed over night, i have made the enclosure so NO fox can get in. and the way i look at it a fox can pester rabbits in there hutch so if my bunnys see a fox at least they have the shed to hid in!

eve x

Me too. My binnies have their own Wendy house, with a hole at the side, this is attached to their run.

It then is pushed right against a brick wall.

scutter said:
Me too. My binnies have their own Wendy house, with a hole at the side, this is attached to their run.

It then is pushed right against a brick wall.

my run ia a proper mad enclosure not a shop bought one it has galvinsed pet mesh sunk under ground so they cant dig out and nothing can dig in i would NOY advise leaving a rabbit in a shop bought run as foxes and rabbits can dig!

eve x

I always put mine in at night even though their pens are secure as otherwise I would never be able to lay a hand on them. They will go in at night as that is when I feed them. They know I never handle them then so they cooperate. I always do health checks in the morning before I let them out. But my pens are very big.

I am thinking about leaving the two in the aviary out all night though as the hutch (a four foot double decker) isn't very big for rabbits their size (It is Isadora and Zebs :) bonded at last :) :) - except they fight in a big run so they are in the aviary to get used to being outside together :roll: ), and the aviary is small enough that catching them won't be a problem.

I think its a matter of personal choice, mine live in the shed with a run attached though every night just before I go to bed a shut their cat flap and lock them in the shed. My buns run in is slabs and is securely fastened to the shed I don't think any foxes could get in but I just wont take the risk. I women who lives near to me had her two rabbits riiped from their hutch and killed by foxes. I lock mine away that way I get to sleep without worrying abot the buns :D

5cutebunnies said:
I think its a matter of personal choice, mine live in the shed with a run attached though every night just before I go to bed a shut their cat flap and lock them in the shed. My buns run in is slabs and is securely fastened to the shed I don't think any foxes could get in but I just wont take the risk. I women who lives near to me had her two rabbits riiped from their hutch and killed by foxes. I lock mine away that way I get to sleep without worrying abot the buns :D

although my rabbits attched run is allways open they only use it at dawn and at dusk, and as its secure i figure they are living as naturally as poss!

eve x

Back