• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've gotta separate my buns!!!!!!! UPDATE: VET VISIT

charlies mum

Warren Scout
As you may be aware my bonded bunnies have fallen out and Romeo is the instigator (sp?) of all the fighting, I'm gutted as you can imagine.

Despite all attempts to re-bond themI have failed, I find it too upsetting to see them fighting so I've settled for the fact that they will have to be separated forever. The only thing is that space is limited!!!! I will need to split their living area in two which means each bun has about 1.5m / 2.5m square. I know that this is ok but it looks so mean compared to what they have been used to! Charlie keeps going up to Romeo through the bars for a sniff and he just attacks her, I hate it, its such a shame.

Its really put me off bonding, I thought they were made for each other but how wrong was I! I dont think I'll ever attempt it again EVER. I feel guilty now as I have two buns who have to live alone because I cant face bonding them again.

I've had my moan now so I shut up, sorry for going on. I know you understand how I feel. Thanks for listening.

Hi there Charlies mum! Where abouts do you live? Perhaps there is someone on the forum who could help you out with the binding?

Have you had both Buns checked over by a vet just to make sure nothing is wrong?

thats what I was thinking phill as if they were bonded - it could be pain making romeo aggresive . By the way what is binding ?? lol , sorry :lol:

I think that may be my final option. He's eating normally, not alot but he never does but he is munching on hay, he seems to be drinking and pooing. Do you still recon its worth a trip down the road?

I would just have a vet give him a general MOT just to make sure it's not pain that is causing the aggresion. Where abouts are you?

Phill said:
ooops i meant Bonding!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry :lol:

yup I would still book a trip tp the vets for both of them , if all seems ok then I would phone relate for marraige guidance :lol:

hi

this is the thread Charlie's mum posted before with more info:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8140

Sorry to hear it's not worked CM - but don't feel guilty about them living singly - it depends on whether they have your company instead or not - so long as they're not stuck ignored in a hutch in the garden all the time they'll be fine I'm sure.

When I realised I couldn't bond Benny to the girls (I wimped out as it was too stressful for me) I put him 'temporarily' in a 4x2 cage in my kitchen - However he's so happy with living in the house I'm making it an indefinite arrangement - he seems so contented in his little cage - I let him outside after the girls have gone for their siesta or supper, and he enjoys a run and binkies like mad, but last night he jumped on top of his cage and back in after just 20mins! He's not suffering I'm sure - Maybe Romeo would be happier if he can't see Charlie at all - he'll calm down then - but you will need to spend a lot more time keeping them company if they are on their own - can they become house bunnies in seperate rooms?

Like the others have said too - Romeo may be in pain so best to get a vet to check there's not an underlying health problem causing his personality change - and maybe get Charlie checked incase somehow hormones have kicked in? Don't know anything about hermaphrodite bunnies :shock:

Thanks elve, bonding is stressful your right! I definately would have wimped out if I were you with all 6 of them. glad its all worked out for you now though.

I took Romeo to the vets today for a check up and they said he's fine, :) . I had a chat with the vet and he was saying that it could still be buck behaviour even though he was castrated near the end of June! What do you recon, is this possible, could he really suddenly become aggressive towards Charlie just because of his hormones this log after his op?

It is possible he still has a bit of hormone left as it can take 6 weeks someitmes longer for the hormones to die down XX

fingers crossed. I'm still keeping them in the same living area but obviously separately so they can sense each other, still hopeng he'll fall back in love with her!

Back