• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picking him up

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi
i only got my rabbit on wednesday and i have been trying to pick him up since then, but he just wont let me. he is fine when i stroke him but when i got to pick him up he just jumps away. does anyone have any tips on how i can pick him up for the first time?

Would you trust a stranger to be the only thing between you and a several storey fall? :) It takes at least a couple of weeks for a bun to really settle in. Many rabbits don't like being picked up and by hopping off your bunny is saying 'I don't like it when you do that'.

Make friends on the ground first and then as Katie say's start with just lifting him on too your lap. Flying through the air isn't very natural for rabbits so it's important you don't scare him. When you do pick him up mean business. Make sure you have a good hold of him before lifting and then hold him snug against your body.

There are some tips here that might help :D http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Tam

Yep - ditto to everything Tams has said here - Zac was particularly worried about being picked up when I first had him and I left it several months before he was being picked up on a regular basis - I used to find picking him up in a secure area helped - for example to start I'd only pick him up from a solid ground point and for me it worked to pick him up from his hay box - it was positioned so he didn't have an escape route and I'd normally start by spending several minutes with nose rubs, ear scratches - all the things he likes - and then when I had picked him up I made sure he felt really secure - for Zac its his chin on my shoulder with my arms cupped around him - one hand securely on his bottom area supporting his back legs too (he's a biggish bunster) -

Then when I'd got him securely in my arms he normally comes down stairs for an evening romp, a carrot treat or two and lots of fuss - so hopefully he associates being picked up with something great happening.

Take your time gal - its taken me 8 months to get to this but its been well worth it :wink:

Back