• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elvis has died

Thank You Phill xxxxx

i know i shouldnt blame myself but im always going to think 'what if'.

I thought about getting a new little bun last night but then when i got home and looked at all Elvis` things i felt guilty and as if i was just forgetting about him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Holly,

Please don't blame yourself, I know Elvis would not want that.

You did everything you possibly could for Elvis, I read all your posts how worried you were.

Your love for Elvis will never cease.

You are not being unfaithful to Elvis thinking about getting another bunny,
all I can say is you, when you are ready, you will giving another little chap/chappes a loving home.

Take care.

the Jetty clan.

Only just read this I can not believe you blame yourself dont you dare! :shock:

You can always say what if but the fact is he went downhill that fast and you will always be aware if his symptoms now for future :wink:

I am so so sorry to hear you sad news. It has brought back the still painful memory of exactly the same thing happening to my Jack only 5 weeks ago. He became suddenly ill and ran a temperature initially. The vet treated him for the high temp and sent him home but he rapidly went down hill and lost the use of his rear end. Seeing him trying to move broke my heart. Unfortuntaely he died at the vets only 20 mins after we took him back there, if I realised they could not do anything I would have kept him home with me. Like yours he was gone within two days of falling ill and like you I was devistated. Jack was 3 years old.

If anyone out there knows what this problem is and can warn us how to aviod or treat it please please let us know.

Tina

You made my house a home with your funny little ways and silly personality.

wow...that's very well said. That's how I felt in the years with all my bunnies. And currently, after my rabbit passed away the other week, I am doing the very same self-blame as you are.

In the end, I said to myself there is nothing wrong of blaming myself, because if there were something that could have been done, the NEXT many rabbits that I'll raise can be benefited from that knowledge. So even the death of my current bunny means something.

So I see nothing wrong w/ blaming myself. But having said that, knowing the cause of death is most likely GI stasis, did you find out what cause the GI stasis, because on that link, it says:

(1) stress, (2) dehydration, (3) pain from another underlying disorder or illness (such as gas, dental problems, infections, or urinary tract disorders) (4) an intestinal blockage or, (5) insufficient dietary crude fiber

So find out whether it is (3) (4) or (5), and get to the bottom of it. That's what I would do.

Very sorry to hear your rabbit passed away so young.

Happy Hopping said:
So I see nothing wrong w/ blaming myself. But having said that, knowing the cause of death is most likely GI stasis, did you find out what cause the GI stasis, because on that link, it says:

(1) stress, (2) dehydration, (3) pain from another underlying disorder or illness (such as gas, dental problems, infections, or urinary tract disorders) (4) an intestinal blockage or, (5) insufficient dietary crude fiber

So find out whether it is (3) (4) or (5), and get to the bottom of it. That's what I would do.

Very sorry to hear your rabbit passed away so young.

After Elvis had died I asked the vets if they could tell me what caused the 'infection' as they called it. They said they didnt know and would have to perform a PM if i wanted to know. My brain told me to have it done but my heart just shouted no. Elvis had such a terrible last few hours of pain, i just wanted him to be peaceful and safe. I know many of you wouldve had the PM but i just couldnt do it to my little man, he had suffered enough.

I know it wasnt (5) because his diet was fine, the vet checked for (4) and said everything was fine, and (5) well, i dont know, the vet said his teeth were fine, there was no bloat or gas, they only thing they said was a 'bacterial infection'.

So, im still at a loss as to what took my Elvis from me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is hard and you do always wonder in that sort of situation if there was something else you could have done. I know I went through it with Charlie who had been anorexic for some time - I used to give him oats to encourage him but never actually syringe-fed him and I wondered if I should have. I did have PM done on him but it was inconclusive so I still didn't have any answers and the same could have happened to you and I can understand that you felt his little body had been through enough. Sometimes I think you just have to reflect "Who knows?" Our little ones are taken and there is no explanation.... I truly don't think you should blame yourself, you do the best you can and you do what you think is right at the time, there is only so much, even in this day and age, that medical science can achieve - don't beat yourself up, your little chap wouldn't have wanted you to do that. :wink: I don't know about you but one of the best ways to explain how I feel is to say that "I feel cheated and robbed of my special little friend". :cry:

awww i am so sorry...
i had a bunny die at the beggining of this summer...
i no just how it feels except we found Flora dead in her cage...
Poor Elvis...RIP little man...

:( :( :cry: :cry:

hi

I definitely blame myself for Pepsi's death - I'd do things differently now if I had the chance...But I get so much pleasure from watching my 5 girls tearing around and binkying in the sunshine - they'd only ever known a cramped hutch before, and if the rescue hadn't taken them in would likely have become snake food...And seeing them eat grass for the first time etc - None of that would have been possible if Pepsi hadn't died, so I take comfort that some good came out of it.

I hope you are feeling a little better now Holly. I see how devasted you were losing Elvis and wondering what you could have done. I am glad all the caring experts rallied round and told you not to blame yourself. I am sorry coming to you so late and hope I don't make you feel ....... you know what I mean. Thinking of you

fairy.gif

Binky_Free_x_27630.gif

i am so sorry to hear the Elvis has gone over the bridge.
it has brought tears to my eyes reading your post.
He looks such a handsome bunny.

Back