• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tris/indoor cage setup/contents

SiDHEaD

Warren Scout
Hello,

For those of you that have to lock your indoor buns in a cage during the day, what do you put in the cage?

I put in hay for bedding and then the little corner toilet thing I put in the "carefresh" cardboard mulch stuff. The problem is my nethy wont go in this corner tray thing (she has bad legs and can only really attempt a jump if she has a long take off and land) - so I also have to sprinkle the floor with the mulch for her.

I still find there are some pellets in the hay (bedding) however.

I know some people use vetbed etc, interested in the setups. I was contemplating using a cat litter tray at the one end of the cage, and then using vetbed at the other, with a trough for the hay - but not sure if that's gonna use up a lot of their room.

Andy

Hiya,

You could try taking a hack saw to a litter tray and cutting the front edge off. Then use a file/sandpaper to smooth it over. That way she could walk into her tray rather than needing to hop.

The other option is to use the base of a plastic carrier, many of them have catches so the top seperates from the bottom leaving you with a tray with high sides but no front step to climb over.

A hayrack is handy as it keeps the hay together and off the floor. You don't have to hang it particularly high if she's not very mobile.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Hiya,

You could try taking a hack saw to a litter tray and cutting the front edge off. Then use a file/sandpaper to smooth it over. That way she could walk into her tray rather than needing to hop.

Thanks Tam.

Was already thinking about cutting the front on the tray, but hadn't yet done it.

With the hay in a hay rack, should I just be leaving the cage floor bare (aside the vetbed at one end)?

Yep, vet beds fine for lying on. Indoor bunnies don't really need big piles of bedding as it's plenty warm enough.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

I *think* I read somewhere that seed potting trays have been used successfully as litter trays for bunnies that are less mobile.

Don't know how big they are though.

gp48.jpg

I've got a bun in a Roger 3 (same size as the Ferplast Rabbit 100) at the moment until he's bonded with one of my other buns, and he's got the smallest cat litter tray I could find in there. It's only about an inch high and doesn't take up too much room, might be worth looking in the cat litter section of your local petshop. Or Wilkinsons do a small cat litter tray for about 70p, so not too much money to waste if she can't use it

I've got one of those small trays for in the room when they are out, so i'll try it in the cage. The only problem I think we might have there is Evo likes to throw it (naughty boy!). The corner one attaches to the bars, so would be better if i can get it cut ok.

Back