• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two young Female rabbits - pairing advice

Hils

New Kit
I have 2 young female rabbits. both around the age of 9 weeks old. I have had one for 2 weeks and the other was only got today. Im going to attemt pairing them. I have the one Ive had for 2 weeks in his hutch and the new one in teh main run for now (they have been like that for about 1 hour) |I have a few questions. Any help would be fantastic. Im very new to this.
1) the one Ive had for 2 weeks is peeing alot and jumping about like mad. Im not sure exactly if this is okay. I know female rabbits can be territorial. But does this kind of behaviour indicate that she may fight with her new pal when i introduce them together fully?

2) I read that I should swap them about between cages without cleaning the cages for a few days to get them used to eachothers scent! is This what i should do??

3) How long should i keep them seperated between the cages?

4)should i introduce them for an hour or so then put then seperate them again to have it as a gradual introduction?

Sorry if these questions seem ridiculous. Im learning and Im unsure. All advice welcome please :)

Usually it is very difficult to pair 2 females together females usually get on much better with a male companion, not always though. Neuturing the girls should go a long long way to reduce any aggressive behaviour.

My first two bunnies were girls, and were very unpredictable around each other until I got them both neutered.

Hi, I can't express enough how important spaying the pair will be. We have three rabbits, 1 male & 2 females. The females were bought and housed together from 8-9 weeks. They got on fine until they hit their teenage period! Even then they were ok for 90% of the time, but seemed to scrap at night as one had her ear torn and the other became aggressive.

Unfortuantely, I had to separate them and also had them both spayed. The more aggressive one is now as docile as anything, whilst the other (understandably) is still quite timid.

I only wish that I'd had them spayed earlier as it is now much more difficult to rebond them.

Cristian

They are both approx 9-10 weeks old. At what age would you recommend spaying them? And what age do they turn teenagers? Would u recommend i keep them apart just sniffing eachother thru the cage until they are both spayed? Also should i be turning them cage about to get them used to eachothers scent? thanks for all your help :)

hi

As they are both babies I don't think they will be very territorial, but you should be more concerned that they have been sexed correctly as it's easy to get this wrong - if you don't have 2 females then you will have a suprise litter a few months from now - If you do have 2 females then you will maybe have to get them spayed when older to stop them fighting - I have 5 unspayed females living together (mother and 4 daughters) and no fighting yet although they are definitely at the 'teenage' stage being 7 months old.

Back