• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training.....again

Caits

Young Bun
After what happened the other week when I was on holiday and my brother looked after or rather... didnt look after my bun and harvey stopped confining pooing and weeing to the litter tray because it was to filthy to sit in he has now decided to completley un-litter train himself so I'll have to start again.

When i tried training him before he was a baby and he got it after a while.... but now hes a little older and its proving more difficult than before, how did you lot litter train you're bunnys and do you have any tips :?:

hi

I've just adopted 5, unspayed adult girl bunnies, who have litter-trained themselves in 4 days - so it shouldn't be too impossible for Harvey - Prior to coming here the girls just lived in a hutch with the usual bedding on the floor...

Although I have them in a shed, the only difference between that and a hutch is the floor is bare - I only put litter, newspaper and hay in 3 big litter boxes, which I put in the most likely corners for weeing in - and they used them straight off.

So I'm guessing Harvey is in a hutch? If so then you haven't got as much room for trays - but you should be able to fit a couple of extra large cat litter trays in the back 2 corners, and another in the 'bedroom' of the hutch - Hopefully if you just leave the rest of the floor bare of shavings or whatever, and put litter and hay in the boxes, Harvey will end up using them as he'll have to sit in a box to eat his hay...

If he doesn't eat hay then try putting his other food at one end of each box, or just some grass if he's used to it. I find that higher sided storage boxes are best to use, because in an ordinary cat litter tray the rabbit could easily sit on the floor next to the tray and reach the hay - high sides force the bunny to sit in the box to eat - so long as it has room to jump in the top - My indoor rabbit cage is 2 foot high and his box is about 10 or 12 inches high (is that 25cms?)

If he's not in a hutch then confine him to a small pen or room, and put litter boxes in every corner till he gets the habit again.

Back