Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit likes large Hamster Wheel?

Banned
    I seem to have ended up in South Yorkshire.

Default hi

Best toy I find for a rabbit is another rabbit - honestly! So long as a rabbit experienced vet can neuter/spay both of them they entertain each other better than any toy can.

I adopted these 5 girls for my boy this week as he lost his brother last week and was very depressed - just sitting around not doing much...The girls were too much for him though - he got stressed and sat around sulking or trying to bite them through the wire mesh - so now I've made the boy a house rabbit and the girls have his shed...

But he doesn't have the run of the house - just a cage in the kitchen and run of the patio shared times different to the girls - He loves running around smelling where they have been and what they have been digging into, urinating, scent marking etc - He's had more exercise today, following the scent of these girls, than since his brother died nearly 2 weeks ago...Bunnies are social creatures

PS - the other problem with a wheel for exercise would be the horrible injuries a bunny would suffer from when it got its back feet caught between the rungs of the run - Solid type wheels are recommended for small animals for the same reason - and you couldn't make a solid wheel with a diameter of 3 feet - and if you did somehow it would simply be too heavy for a rabbit to turn without strain - most rabbits would just decide to chew it up for fun

Ah...excellent pt. Since there is a potential lower back problem, I'll cease the idea.

There is a few pet store that sells a plastic ball for a cat or presumably small animal like a rabbit to hop in, and the opening of that ball is permanent (no door), so he'll rotate inside.

Let's hear what you guys input on this. But I don't like the idea because he could be stressed inside a partly closed plastic ball.

def. dont go for the ball thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin
    Thats a great idea on the tunnels! Your right wild bunnies live in tunnels so thats probably why they like them.

Tam
    Thanks for the images. Very thoughtful of you. This is what that sonic tube looks like. 6 ft. long, you can guess how tall it is. Diameter is about 20". Carpet wrapped on the inside and outside.

http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc000548zy.jpg

Your tunnels sound great. I know my rabbits would love them.

I think you would have the same problem with a plastic ball as with a wheel, bending the spine the wrong way. And you are probably right that they wouldn't like being enclosed.

My son built our rabbits a three level platform to jump and climb on. You could have ago with something like that. At first we used cardboard but that got rained on and turned to mush - as well as chewed So then we used plywood so hopefully it will last. We have plans to build more different ones then we can swap them about and give them all variety.
    Best Wishes
    Louise
    Hopper Haven And Littlefoot Sanctuary
    www.hopperhaven.org.uk
    Home of a Hundred Happy Hoppers
    A Different Smaller Viewpoint,
    The World Below the Knee Joint

I thought about the platform, but I am afraid a rabbit may fall and injured himself, so I withdraw the platform idea. Unless the platform is very low, but then there is not much climbing if that's the case.

How tall is your platform? You have a pic.?

so I wonder if this wheel radius is big enough for an average size rabbit?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUNk-...noGDgMQL_lASkU

https://www.facebook.com/23475316655...97239211207165
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi

Warren Veteran

I would stick with tunnels or stairs.
    Rabbits haven't changed in the last 16 years since this thread started. They really just need plenty of flat space to run around in with another bunny, when they feel like it.

Fascinating.

Wise Old Thumper

I've never seen a bun use a wheel. I'd worry that mine would fall off and hurt herself in an open wheel like that.