Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit likes large Hamster Wheel?

Hybrid View

Default Rabbit likes large Hamster Wheel?

My lovebird likes hamster wheel, she sit on it and keep rotates over and over.

Does anyone know there is a place on the internet that you can buy a large hamster wheel 3 ft. wide for large rabbit?

And you guys think a rabbit will like it?

I was thinking of a pile of 2 x 4 as the steps, wrap ea. step in thick carpet, that's the easy part. But I haven't figure out how to build the circular part of the large hamster wheel.

I wouldn't have thought a wheel would be very good for a rabbits spine. I know they are not suitable for guinea pigs for that reason. Rabbits are not climbers with flexible back bones like the small rodents. It would be much better to simply give them enough space to run in.
    Best Wishes
    Louise
    Hopper Haven And Littlefoot Sanctuary
    www.hopperhaven.org.uk
    Home of a Hundred Happy Hoppers
    A Different Smaller Viewpoint,
    The World Below the Knee Joint

But they only run in a horizontal position, don't they? How can it affect their spine? It's no different than running straight, except the wheel rotates.

Their body curves in the same radius the wheel does as the front/back legs hit a spot on the wheel that is higher than the lowest point. Usually they would hit the lowest point (as thats where the ground is). So the bun in effect dips in the centre.

So their spine curves in the opposite direction that it should.

Rabbits spine curves in a sort of hump shape the majority of the time, even when they are running flat out it goes straight not curved up.

You would need a wheel with a very large radius to get a flat enough point in the centre not to cause a curve.

Wheels that are too small in other animals can cause problems too, for example you couldn't give a rat a wheel sized for a hamster.

Tam

Banned
    I seem to have ended up in South Yorkshire.

Default hi

A treadmill would be better - but you try keeping a bunny on a treadmill

Hamsters like wheels because in nature a hamster travels for many miles every night - they are programmed to run all night and it's frustrating for them if they can't - Bunnies on the other hand are programmed to do exactly what they feel like - changing constantly, like the weather :wink:

So you're saying even if I can build a wheel w/ big enough radius, he won't like it?

I don't know, only way to find out is to try and see. I not sure that bunnies would ilke it though, they're quite intelligent (no offence to hamsters) so it might be abit repetitative to hold their interest.

If your feeling up to some DIY a climbing frame would possibly be more entertaining. With different levels, hidey holes and ramps up. Abit like those cat activity centres.

Tam

Well, I just trying to build some new toys for the next rabbit. I have a book on rabbit, and it doesn't say what kind of toys do they like. All my rabbits seems to like sit and lay down on the carpet.

I need build 3 x sonic tube 4.5 yr. ago. It's those 18 ft. cardboard tube meant for put concrete in, they called it sonic tube, I ask the hardware store to cut it in 3 pieces, 6 ft ea. I then hire someone to put carpet on the inside and outside.

My bunny loves it. Remember in the ancient time, they used to dig tunnels? So I build them 3 tunnels.

Regardless, what's the best toy for rabbit? Besides things for them to chew, if there is nothing besides what you just recommend, I'll go w/ that.

Mama Doe

parrot toys are good peach just loves big carboard boxes she always happy when i give her a new one or how about a ball they love playing with them too

Thats a great idea on the tunnels! Your right wild bunnies live in tunnels so thats probably why they like them.

Tam