• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nipping

chinakit

Warren Scout
One of my recent rescued bunnies, Bluebell (the 'confident' one LOL) has now taken to nipping me when I feed her. She usually stands over the food dish and when I try to get hold of the dish she nips my hand. So far she hasn't done any real damage. Will this behaviour stop after I have had her spayed? She doesn't growl or jump at me though ... just nips! Could it be that she thinks I am actually putting food into the dish? I never do this, I always remove the dish and wash it before refilling and returning it to her hutch.

She is being territorial over her cage/food dish. My rabbit Ashlee used to do that. Now that she has been spayed she doesn't nip at me when I take things out of her cage.

Could well be something that will improve with spaying. In the meantime a second bowl usually works well. Put the filled bowl the opposite end to the empty one then when she rushes over you can pick up the empty bowl ready to clean and fill for next time.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Could well be something that will improve with spaying. In the meantime a second bowl usually works well. Put the filled bowl the opposite end to the empty one then when she rushes over you can pick up the empty bowl ready to clean and fill for next time.

Tam

What a great idea, I should have thought of it !!! Will do this, and thanks!

Jane

It will probably stop when she is spayed. Sylvia used to nip me a lot before her spay. Often on the bottom if I wasn't careful (that hurts)!

Our Coco was like this, gave me quite a nasty gash once! And she started to "grunt & growl" when I tried to approach her in her hutch/run. It seemed to be a relationship very much on her terms (lol).

Noticed a difference within days of her being spayed. I can now easily take her bowl or pick her up from her hutch without any problems. She is now a total ball of cuddly fluff, whereas before I was wary about her nipping my kids.

I'm not saying that this will work in all instances, but it will help.

Cristian

I will book her in to be spayed soon then! She is a lovely rabbit most of the time, and hasn't got to the 'grunty' stage, she just nips!!

Thanks everyone.

Jane xx

Back