• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping boys together

Veronica

Mama Doe
Hiya,

Just a quick question here.

How easy/ is it possible to house two litter brothers together for life?
Obviously having them both neutered when they reach the age.

How about housing two baby boys together (not litter brothers), but young, and having them both castrated early? Is it possible?

Thanks,

Veronica

As far as I know, two male littermates is fine as long as they are both neutered (and you are prepared for a little squabbling as they mature).

Boys cannot be neutered until they're at least 5 months, so neutering them early is not an option.

AMETHYST

Amethyst said:
As far as I know, two male littermates is fine as long as they are both neutered (and you are prepared for a little squabbling as they mature).

Boys cannot be neutered until they're at least 5 months, so neutering them early is not an option.

AMETHYST

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. :)

When I said early, I meant as soon as their bits have fully developed. ie. not leaving them unneutered but fully matured.
Hope that makes sense! :p

Veronica said:
When I said early, I meant as soon as their bits have fully developed. ie. not leaving them unneutered but fully matured.
Hope that makes sense! :p

Yes, that makes sense! I understand now! :) As soon as their bits have fully developed (to put it crudely, as soon as their bits have dropped!), they can be neutered. Our boy Miles was done as soon as his bits dropped!

AMETHYST

Hi veronica its very possible for teo brothers to live together happily :D I have two brothers and their uncle all living togther in absolute bliss :D Some boys bits drop as early as 12 weeks, Just keep them together and get tham neutered as soon as possile before their hormones truly kick in

100_6833.jpg

Thank you! :D

Just out of interest....neutered litter mates are ok....
what about two baby boys (not related), who have been introduced when young...and then neutered early?

Thanks,

Veronica :)

hi

My 2 brothers were very happy together - so long as you take them to be neutered together on the same day in the same carrier, I would guess it would work fine even if they weren't brothers, so long as they were introduced carefully at first for a few weeks beforehand - just to make sure they like each other :)

As far as I know most babies will get on ok even if they're from different littlers, as long as they're introduced early enough!

My 2 boys Treacle and fudge were from the same litter and live together quite happily. Their bits dropped at 12 weeks but the vet wouldn't neuter them till they were 16 weeks so I had 4 weeks of hell!!! :shock: and had to put them in separate cages for the last couple. I kept the cages next to each other and they went back to living in the same cage together as soon as they had been done without any problems! :D

Hey,
Just an update :D Well after all the questions, it's looking like the two are actually girls :shock: :roll:
Thanks for your replies and help anyhow. I now know for future!

Anyhow, I still haven't got the two, as they have a bit of the runs at the mo, so the breeder is wanting to hold onto them for a bit just to make sure they are 100%

Thanks for your help:)

Veronica

Back