• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seperating bonded pairs

Denny

Mama Doe
I would like to bring this up for debate as I have seen a few buns listed that are bonded but are willing to seperate :(

My personal view is that a bonded pair should not be seperated under any circumstances. Not only would they have the stress of loosing a life time partner but also the stress of them being parted would also inflict an element of bereavement and sadness :( After all it would be like us loosing our partners whether it be death or going off with someone else, the hurt and loneliness is still there :(

what are your thoughts :?:

I think it's terrible I could never seperate bonded groups/ pairs. I'm gutted when I see it too and think it's a terrible shame :( ,

mmm Denny i agree with you completly. I don't think should ever be split up. i am having a little panick today because velvet went to the vets last night and is beiong spayed this morning so by the time she gets home her and pan will have been separated for 24 hrs, and that alone is going to make it difficult to get them bacj together but i will get there.

sorry Phill, I meant not seperating a bond pair. trio, foursome etc when trying to find a new home for them :wink: :lol:

although you have brought up an interesting question regarding going to the vets :wink: :lol: I dont think everyone takes or could take multiple bonded buns to the vets everytime :) Perhaps a question to ask the members what they do :wink: :)

I agree as to not splitting up bonded pairs when rehoming. As Regards when going to the vets, I gave Gypsy a teddy bear to snuggle up to when her partner had to stop in the vets overnight and it was so funny when I brought him home has she actually threw the teddy bear out as soon as I put him back with her.

I think as far as humanly possible, it is very much in the interests of the bunnies to remain as a bonded pair :wink: :D
I know of rare cases though, where a bonded pair has been split after being in rescues for a year or more.
I feel that there are occasions (occasions being the operative word here) when it is justified, but only when every other option has been exhausted.
I think groups also feel the loss of an individual bunny too however, and GA Sanctuary recently took on a group of three Sisters (pretty Does) who have been together all their life, as the thought of them being split up to rehome was hard for the lovely rescue owner to bear :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly what you have said Denny, but just wanted to add that life is not always so cut and dry and occasionally you have to weigh up pros and cons and follow a different route to norm :wink:

We would never dream of splitting a happily bonded pair. It breaks my heart to think of them being separated.

Having said this, we have recently homed 3 sisters who were living together to live with 3 separate males. If they had been happy together we wouldn't have done this but they weren't so it wasn't a hard decision. So, like all things each case has to be looked at individually.

Pairs/groups can take longer to home but we just keep them for however long it takes. We are lucky to have the team and backup to be able to do this. Smaller, single person rescues would obviously find this harder to do. Do they turn away rabbits needing their help because they are full with rabbits they can't home because they are already paired? I wouldn't like to have to make that decision - but still think I wouldn't split a happy pair.

As to vet visits - if one of a pair or group goes they all go! Even if they have to stay overnight.

As mine are in pairs it is easy to persuade my vet to let the partner stop overnight with them if one has to go in but if mine were in a group of four I don't think he would be so keen.

I would probably take along the bunny they were the closest too as the next best thing (in my case their original partners if I managed to get them as a group of four).

I would never split up my bonded pairs as when a bunny's partner dies I have read it is better to let them see the dead body so they understand their partner isn't coming back rather than just never seeing them again. Apparently the rabbits seem to mourn less and accept a new partner quicker if they know their old partner is dead otherwise they pine waiting for their partner to come back. If you apply this to a pair where both are living and you split them, you then get two unhappy, pining bunnies that won't be keen on accepting new partners.

I must admit when I was looking for a girly for Zeus I did get frustrated with a lot of rescues as they paired all their rabbits up immediately and it took me ages to find rescues where there were single bunnies. I guess the rescue has to weigh up the pros of having two happy bunnies in the rescue (+ gain in cage space) against lowering their chance of rehoming. Obviously this is a different take as it would be not bonding in the first place as opposed to splitting up an existing bond.

Caz

As to vet visits - if one of a pair or group goes they all go! Even if they have to stay overnight.[/quote]

this is the only part of bonded bunnies i cant stand and only because i have a group of six,three pairs two singles and two british giants that hopefully will bond soon, plus there vacinations are all on the same day, have you eve seen a box theat can carry 6 rabbits or two bonded giants that i could actually carry! :shock: :shock:

Eve x

bunnylove said:
this is the only part of bonded bunnies i cant stand and only because i have a group of six,three pairs two singles and two british giants that hopefully will bond soon, plus there vacinations are all on the same day, have you eve seen a box theat can carry 6 rabbits or two bonded giants that i could actually carry! :shock: :shock:

Eve x

I have Athena and Zeus in one large cat carrier and Cosmos and Violet in a smaller cat carrier, one in each hand and this means... I am slightly off balance (with Zeus and Athena weighing more than the other two), I can't open doors and I get bruised legs from the boxes banging on them.

I can't imagine how you cope Eve! At least Athena can squeeze in with Zeus, two giants in one box would be hard!

When I just had Zeus I used to take him in on a lead ;) !

Caz

I can see your problem Eve! We've never had a group of 6 so I've never had to deal with the impossible situation you must be in!

Actually, Caz, you're Violet came to us with a male rabbit but one of the reasons they came in was because they were fighting. So splitting them wasn't a problem either.

Hiya Eve, could you not ask your vet to come out to your home to give vaccinations? they will do home visits if you request it.

Best wishes

Caz said:
bunnylove said:

Eve x

I have Athena and Zeus in one large cat carrier and Cosmos and Violet in a smaller cat carrier, one in each hand and this means... I am slightly off balance (with Zeus and Athena weighing more than the other two), I can't open doors and I get bruised legs from the boxes banging on them.

I can't imagine how you cope Eve! At least Athena can squeeze in with Zeus, two giants in one box would be hard!

When I just had Zeus I used to take him in on a lead ;) !

Caz

i look like a nutter when i go to the vets on vacination day caz, the night before i go to tescos and get a load of cardboard boxes and then shove them all in the car! when we get there i take one box and the kids and they sit on the chair (hopefully i there is one available) and guard the bunnies whiles i go and do all the other carry trips, and its the same when we leave, the only problem this time will be can i carry 6 bunnies in a box?, plus the giants i have no idea what to do as i would not want to take them on a lead as the surgery is quite big and has lots of dogs on leads! whether herm and hag are big or not bet they are still scared of dogs and there is no protection for them if they are on leads as reguards to dog taking a bite!

Eve x

Adele said:
Hiya Eve, could you not ask your vet to come out to your home to give vaccinations? they will do home visits if you request it.

Best wishes

i am sure they would adele but at a rather large fee and it costs me enough with 16 sets of vacinations x 2 mysi and vhd! so i tend to struggle on!

rather spend the money on the rabbits than paying the vet to get off his ****! :lol:

For an amount of vaccinations as large as you have our vet wouldn't charge to come out. It might be worth asking.

If not when you take the 6 you could put the girls in one box and the boys in another to spread the weight.
Maybe you need some sort of wheels for the two biggies. Can't think what though!

donna-arc said:
For an amount of vaccinations as large as you have our vet wouldn't charge to come out. It might be worth asking.

they charge me for everything, but i may ask!

If not when you take the 6 you could put the girls in one box and the boys in another to spread the weight.
would not do that because least time i split some buns they faught when i got back and put them back together and have never been able to reunit them since!

Maybe you need some sort of wheels for the two biggies. Can't think what though!
shopping tolley but they may jump out, could you imagine it! :lol:

soounds like you need a forklift truck and a large dog crate Eve :wink: :lol: :lol: dont think they require road tax so you would be well away :lol: :lol: :lol:

forklift.jpg

Eve my vet only charges me a tenner to come out an vaccinate the buns! it would cost more than that in petrol to take themm there and back!

Back