Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seperating bonded pairs

Default seperating bonded pairs

I would like to bring this up for debate as I have seen a few buns listed that are bonded but are willing to seperate

My personal view is that a bonded pair should not be seperated under any circumstances. Not only would they have the stress of loosing a life time partner but also the stress of them being parted would also inflict an element of bereavement and sadness After all it would be like us loosing our partners whether it be death or going off with someone else, the hurt and loneliness is still there

what are your thoughts
    Denny

I've been Boo'd lol

I think it's terrible I could never seperate bonded groups/ pairs. I'm gutted when I see it too and think it's a terrible shame ,
    Click here to see the bunnies available for homes at Underhill Rabbit Rescue

REW bunnies are home and they're all gorgeous

Poppy, Sparkle, Gnasher and Matilda

Please sponsor my Everest trip for Underhill Rabbit Rescue which will be done in April 2014
    Underhill Rabbit Rescue fundraising for Everest page (click here)

mmm Denny i agree with you completly. I don't think should ever be split up. i am having a little panick today because velvet went to the vets last night and is beiong spayed this morning so by the time she gets home her and pan will have been separated for 24 hrs, and that alone is going to make it difficult to get them bacj together but i will get there.
    Dash, Scooter, Missy, Max, Sooty, Jamima, Winston, Reuben, Foxglove, Ron and Smidgen
    Goodnight Hester my Special bun xxx

''It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.'' - Bridget Jones
    www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk
    http://www.bunnyhop.co.uk/

sorry Phill, I meant not seperating a bond pair. trio, foursome etc when trying to find a new home for them :wink:

although you have brought up an interesting question regarding going to the vets :wink: I dont think everyone takes or could take multiple bonded buns to the vets everytime Perhaps a question to ask the members what they do :wink:
    Denny

I've been Boo'd lol

Ah sorry denny Yes i agree that when rehoming pairs they should never be split up.
    Dash, Scooter, Missy, Max, Sooty, Jamima, Winston, Reuben, Foxglove, Ron and Smidgen
    Goodnight Hester my Special bun xxx

''It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.'' - Bridget Jones
    www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk
    http://www.bunnyhop.co.uk/

Wise Old Thumper
    Bunny Hop Hotel & Rescue, Leigh, Lancashire (not far from Bolton)

I agree as to not splitting up bonded pairs when rehoming. As Regards when going to the vets, I gave Gypsy a teddy bear to snuggle up to when her partner had to stop in the vets overnight and it was so funny when I brought him home has she actually threw the teddy bear out as soon as I put him back with her.

I think as far as humanly possible, it is very much in the interests of the bunnies to remain as a bonded pair :wink:
    I know of rare cases though, where a bonded pair has been split after being in rescues for a year or more.
    I feel that there are occasions (occasions being the operative word here) when it is justified, but only when every other option has been exhausted.
    I think groups also feel the loss of an individual bunny too however, and GA Sanctuary recently took on a group of three Sisters (pretty Does) who have been together all their life, as the thought of them being split up to rehome was hard for the lovely rescue owner to bear :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly what you have said Denny, but just wanted to add that life is not always so cut and dry and occasionally you have to weigh up pros and cons and follow a different route to norm :wink:

Adopt your own Siggy Bunny
    Luxury Bunny Hotel to raise funds for Guardian Angels Sanctuaries.

I've been Boo'd

We would never dream of splitting a happily bonded pair. It breaks my heart to think of them being separated.

Having said this, we have recently homed 3 sisters who were living together to live with 3 separate males. If they had been happy together we wouldn't have done this but they weren't so it wasn't a hard decision. So, like all things each case has to be looked at individually.

Pairs/groups can take longer to home but we just keep them for however long it takes. We are lucky to have the team and backup to be able to do this. Smaller, single person rescues would obviously find this harder to do. Do they turn away rabbits needing their help because they are full with rabbits they can't home because they are already paired? I wouldn't like to have to make that decision - but still think I wouldn't split a happy pair.

As to vet visits - if one of a pair or group goes they all go! Even if they have to stay overnight.

As mine are in pairs it is easy to persuade my vet to let the partner stop overnight with them if one has to go in but if mine were in a group of four I don't think he would be so keen.

I would probably take along the bunny they were the closest too as the next best thing (in my case their original partners if I managed to get them as a group of four).

I would never split up my bonded pairs as when a bunny's partner dies I have read it is better to let them see the dead body so they understand their partner isn't coming back rather than just never seeing them again. Apparently the rabbits seem to mourn less and accept a new partner quicker if they know their old partner is dead otherwise they pine waiting for their partner to come back. If you apply this to a pair where both are living and you split them, you then get two unhappy, pining bunnies that won't be keen on accepting new partners.

I must admit when I was looking for a girly for Zeus I did get frustrated with a lot of rescues as they paired all their rabbits up immediately and it took me ages to find rescues where there were single bunnies. I guess the rescue has to weigh up the pros of having two happy bunnies in the rescue (+ gain in cage space) against lowering their chance of rehoming. Obviously this is a different take as it would be not bonding in the first place as opposed to splitting up an existing bond.

Caz
    RIP My Babies: Fudge, Zeus, Athena, Violet, Cosmos & Pierre!

Wise Old Thumper

As to vet visits - if one of a pair or group goes they all go! Even if they have to stay overnight.[/quote]

this is the only part of bonded bunnies i cant stand and only because i have a group of six,three pairs two singles and two british giants that hopefully will bond soon, plus there vacinations are all on the same day, have you eve seen a box theat can carry 6 rabbits or two bonded giants that i could actually carry!

Eve x