• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Orange/Peach Urine?

Krinnie

Young Bun
I live in California but a few days ago I flew to Utah to drive back with furniture and a bucket full of 3 bunnies. The man who sold them to us is a bit senile and I'm afraid his information on rabbits isn't all that extensive. We stopped with them in Nevada for a day and they had a lot of Dandelions picked from my Aunt and Uncle's backyard, I brought a baggie of them washed back with me, it's in the fridge. (As far as I know these are safe for rabbits, and there was definately no pesticides on the area)

Anyways on the trip from Nevada into California there was some socks for them to cuddle in and there was this peach stain on the sock, at first I thought it was just there because they were rags but then there was more.

I'm a bit worried maybe there's blood in the urine altering the color, but someone else told me sometimes rabbits just have dark orange/red urine.

Any thoughts on this?

Their urine color do change. If you have them home, and in 4 days, urine color is NOT a medium yellow-orange color, then keep a log of the color.

As long as their diet is fine, they should be okay.

If their diet changes due to the long trip, their urine color can change. If they eat exotic weeds (wild weeds not grass), their urine color will change to a reddish color.

Remind you that whatever pellet that man is feeding them, you should mix it 50-50 with the pellet you are feeding, or else the rabbit may reject the new pellet and it'll change their stomach condition because they are not used to the new one. (In some cases, I have read, you can kill the rabbit if their stomach doesn't agree with the change of pellet.)

You then mix more of your to less of the other guy's pellet. 70 - 30. Eventually move to 100%.

Rabbits urine is quite often different colours and orange is one of them, it can be changed by whot they are eating.I wouldnt worry.If it was blood then it would look like blood and be very red. val :)

Happy Hopping said:
Their urine color do change. If you have them home, and in 4 days, urine color is NOT a medium yellow-orange color, then keep a log of the color.

As long as their diet is fine, they should be okay.

If their diet changes due to the long trip, their urine color can change. If they eat exotic weeds (wild weeds not grass), their urine color will change to a reddish color.

Remind you that whatever pellet that man is feeding them, you should mix it 50-50 with the pellet you are feeding, or else the rabbit may reject the new pellet and it'll change their stomach condition because they are not used to the new one. (In some cases, I have read, you can kill the rabbit if their stomach doesn't agree with the change of pellet.)

You then mix more of your to less of the other guy's pellet. 70 - 30. Eventually move to 100%.

I couldn't find his bag of pellet (and I'm not sure what brand it is) so I just gave them the pellet I brought from home because it looked to be exactly the same, and I know they're both Alfalfa mix, and they seem absolutely fine with my pellet and a small mixture of carrots and hay, I was out of my big bag of hay when I got home so I changed the bucket they're homing in (the cage will be here tomorrow) out with hamster bedding and I haven't seen any more orange urine luckfully. I was just wondering if it was a real cause for concern. But thank you for replying on that, you think if they appear to be doing fine I should still give them some of their old pellet?

taylor v 109 said:
Rabbits urine is quite often different colours and orange is one of them, it can be changed by whot they are eating.I wouldnt worry.If it was blood then it would look like blood and be very red. val :)

That's a relief anyways, thank you.

Rabbits stomachs are very sensitive to change especially with the change of home and the long journey stressing them out.

When changing over rabbit food you should mix the new in with the old gradually changing the proportions of each until they are used to the new pellets. If their main diet is hay and veggies then introduce the pellets slowly giving them a bit more each day but watch for sticky bums (uneaten ceacal pellets - the dark, squidy grape-like ones).

How old are the bunnies? Was the previous owner feeding them veggies? If not then introduce any new foods slowly at first until you are sure it doesn't upset their stomachs. A probiotic powder in their water may be a good idea to help keep the numbers of "good bacteria" up.

Yup don't worry about the urine whenever mine eat dandilions they often get reddish urine. Blood in the urine is drops of red in an otherwise yellowy solution.

The main diet should be hay with limited pellets and veggies unless they are very young then they need a bit more pellets for growth.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html is an excellent American based source of rabbit info!

Caz

Krinnie, what Caz said above is what I need to say. That sensitive change to the pellet can killed him depends on a few condition.

However, that is an extreme case. Most of the time their stomach just won't agree w/ him, and if the change is too fast, it may causes them some digestive problems.

Back