• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit hutch pics

pixie

Warren Scout
Im going to get my hubby to build a hutch ( a handy DIY man).
I want a large hutch for two large rabbits ! Anyone got a good hutch so i can take an idea from it :D ? The hutches in the shops are too small ! I want one with a bit of space so can anyone post a pic of their Hutch please ? so i can get some design ideas.

We don't have Hutches we have large enclosures this is the best pic i have at work

RexMoly.jpg

Have you looked at Sheds?

They can be easily adapted to house rabbits and you can attached a run to the side and give them a door into it using a cat flap!

rabbit hutch

Hi,
im not having a run.Ive always secured the fences so the rabbits can roam free all day then they just sleep at night in the hutch due to the foxes in the area.Im after two large rabbits i keep loking on the re- homing sections.Because i want a very large breed my hubby will have to make the hutch. :eek:

what about a play house i know alot of people wo have large rabbits keep them in play houses or if u hubby is a good diy man then maybe he could have ago at making one
becky

Re: rabbit hutch

pixie said:
Hi,
im not having a run.Ive always secured the fences so the rabbits can roam free all day then they just sleep at night in the hutch due to the foxes in the area.Im after two large rabbits i keep loking on the re- homing sections.Because i want a very large breed my hubby will have to make the hutch. :eek:

how big do you want the breed to be val has a friend with some continental giants (see rabbit welfare section) although i would say even though you may think you have secure fences please remember that foxes can dig under your fence and climb! i personally never let my rabbits run free unless under supervision!

Eve x

I use the poppy playhouse from here: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/category/category.jsp?CATID=8050100 for my continental giant and his dwarf lop girly. It gives them loads of space to stretch out and stand up in. Mine are inside the garage so I have attached a run made from storage cubes to the front for extra space.

They go outside in their gardens runs during the day.

If you set one up outside you could put a cat flap to an attached run just to be safe. I used to let mine run loose until the neighbour's cat took an interest.

Caz

Wow thats a nice looking little house :D I got my shed which is the same size (6' x 4') for £75 from Focus DIY they also have one in Wicks for £95. I bolted a run onto the side for extra space!

My buns have the free run of the garden when I'm at home but I wouldn't leave them out whilst I'm at work, apart from the threat from foxes that can easily scale a 6' fence, I had a hawk swoop down on one of the rabbits once!!! :shock: Luckily the bunny was ok but that was an attack in broad daylight in a housing estate with my son playing in the garden too!!! :shock:

Re: rabbit hutch

[
how big do you want the breed to be val has a friend with some continental giants (see rabbit welfare section) although i would say even though you may think you have secure fences please remember that foxes can dig under your fence and climb! i personally never let my rabbits run free unless under supervision!

Eve x[/quote]

we have always had foxes however i have always put rabbits in the hutches to sleep.I only let rabbits run free all day if im in the house as i leave the back door open.I dont have any rabbits at the moment.My last one died age 8 a number of years ago.Im looking for two large rabbits at the moment for around early september time. Roughly in 8 weeks time. As im moving house in the next week would be unfair to get them at this time.My hubby is going to make a large hutch so there is plenty of room.

hutch1.jpg

That's my double hutch. It's 8 feet long and a little over 2 feet deep. My boys don't get along so it has a wire divider in the center. The tarp is on top because my hutch roof is made out of a metal garage door panel but one wasn't wide enough for the top so there is a joint where it's hinged a couple inches in and it leaks (minimally) when it rains or in the spring when the snow melts.

DSCF0005.jpg

That's the hutch I'm building. It's not completely right, the measurements changed. The hutch is 5 feet long and 2.5 feet deep. And we also decided to put the door to the enclosed part on the end because the enclosed part is narrow but long and would create some access issues.

rabbits

Thanks for all the replies. I got my hubby a Router for a birthday present ( wonder why). Ive got a design in mind as i want something that looks tidy in the garden. :wink:

When the rabbits have a large run or garden I think they prefer a hutch to a shed as then they can lie against the front of it and be virtually outside in the night time, which they all love. None of mine use the bedroom bit of their hutches, and the rabbits who lived in the shed all winter were delighted to go in hutches for the summer instead. Sheds are far more enclosed unless they have a permanent run attached with access at night too, which could be risky in many areas.

rabbit hutch

Ive always had mine in a hutch then felted it and put tarpolen over in the winter to keep them warm. They have always been out all day and just used it to sleep in really.Im going to or rather my husband is going to make a good sized one as im after a Giant breed i dont like to see Rabbits cramped up i like them to have a bit of space.After my last rabbit died age 8 i got rid of the Hutch hence why im having one made as i feel its time now for another bunny

I've got two rabbits, they are outside now its warmer and live in an enclosed area of the garden. We decided how much of the garden we could live without and took it from there really. I bought a hutch but it never closed, their litter trays are in there but to be honest they never use it to sleep in, it was just an expensive toilet.

Have fun with the design and make sure it fits in to your garden otherwise you'll hate it.

Back