• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collectors=cruelty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscars

Banned
Is there a 'collector' near you?

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.03.96/animals-9627.html

http://www.nyshumane.org/Manual/Ch5Spec/SpecCases.htm#collector

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Woods/4423/collector.html

http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=27

http://www.planet-pets.com/collect.htm

Ive dealt with two cases and think that it poses one of the most significant problems facing rabbits today. The danger lies in the public persona of the individuals involved and the denial of the evidence that would be blatantly obvious to some.
They say the road to h*ll is paved with good intentions.... many 'collectors' start out with good intentions but the situation then becomes overwhelming emotionally, financially and mentally but the urge to continue to collect remains.
Should collectors be given tea and sympathy? No. That wont stop them from collecting. As they are so far in denial I can see no benefit from 'giving them the facts'. Prosecution seems to me to be the only action to stop these individuals from causing more suffering, neglect and death.
Roll on the Animal Welfare Bill which will give the RSPCA legal recourse to prosecute.
Wendy.

that is terrible but im not sure i understand fully- my aunty had 49 pets at one point and all of them were 100% looked after- they were her lively hood!

I think this is the key thing:

Animal collectors are people who harbor large numbers of animals and fail to provide them with proper food, water, or medical care.

It's not the number of animals that defines a collector it's that they don't provide adaquate living conditions and vet treatment and yet continue to take on more animals.

It's important to know your limits, for some people that might be one or two animals others a dozen (or 46). It all depends on how much time, space and money you have available to dedicate to them.

Tamsin

collectors.

I am really confused about this subject perhaps it could be explained more fully. I have never heard this term used before what exactly does it mean...please can we have more info wendy.

Re: collectors.

rabshan said:
I am really confused about this subject perhaps it could be explained more fully. I have never heard this term used before what exactly does it mean...please can we have more info wendy.
so am I... as someone who has just taken on a rescue hamster to add to the menagerie of 3 rabbits, 2 chinchillas and 2 fish tanks, my first thought is are you classing me as a collector of animals...... what is the point of this topic?

I think it refers to people who take on more animals than they have time/space for, therefore aren't cared for properly. COllector seems a strange word to use, because we all collect animals on this forum, by rescuing them, but I believe the difference is that we look after them properly and are aware of their needs.
Any thoughts anyone?

I must be a collecter too!! with my
2 dogs
4 rabbits
5 piggies
and 4 gerbils
mine are all very well cared for though :)

collector

Hi...Yeh I guess that lets me out too as I take very good care of my animal collection too!!! suppose we could all be classed as "collectors" it depends which way you look at it....any of you guys who have large numbers of bunnies etc.

please correct me if I am wrong but not one of those cases were in this country from reading them :?

quantity does not amount to being a collector, it is the choice of each individual to decide and for them to know their own limits :)

I think you may be assuming that all 'collectors' of animals also neglect them which is not always the case. just because they have a large amount of animals does not put everyone in the catagory of a collector :)

The cases that you have high lighted seem to me to be of one of love that has got out of control resulting in neglect which is then termed a case of cruelty :) They also indicate that these so called collectors had a mental illness in the first place to end up in the position they have got themselves in. not everyone has a mental illness and can happily care for a large amount of animals :)

As you will be aware, rabbits are very complex little critters who can be well one day then be dead the next. To the novice bunny owner who is un-aware of all the health issues and signs of illness that come with owning a bunny, could be deemed cruel should they not know what they are looking for which is not their fault but that of the pet trade who are not educating the public when purchasing a bunny :)

Can I ask what your opinion is of back yard breeders who I imagine, keep their animals in very much the same circumstances and could be deemed a 'collector' who could have just as many animals as a so called collector to achieve the right colour, markings etc, obsession or love :?:

These are American articles. In Britain these people are referred to as 'animal hoarders'.
They aren't people (like most of us!) who simply have a lot of animals. They are people who are out of touch with reality - having dead, ill or starving animals and are unable to see that there is a probem. It has now been identified as an actual medical problem.

Wendy i dont think u can say its a particular problem with rabbits as there are many cases involving all sorts of animals,thankfully they are few and far between.These people do not represent everyone who has large numbers of animals,they are sick individuals who do not realise whot harm they are doing.I think you will find that that they do get prosecuted for it.Being involved with rabbit rescue i come across some horror stories that are owners of one rabbit.So it dosent follow the more u have the worse its got to be, its the individuals. val

hi

Greek Animal Rescue have dealt with a few animal collectors - really awful people who believe they love their animals, while they starve to death around them, or eat each other :(

I don't think it happens as much in the UK as we are more highly populated and people are more likely to report neglected animals to the RSPCA - There have been 2 cases mentioned on this forum recently - the one with all the animals shut in a barn and the one with a couple who kept buying more and more animals even though their house was full of dead ones - they had 8 cats in a 3' rabbit hutch or something ridiculous - and hundreds of others - so they do exist in the UK!

You would have to be mentally deficient or unbalanced to watch dead animals rot around you whilst claiming you love them - I don't think anyone on this forum who has lots of pets would fall into that category!

animal collectors

I think what it boils down to is tougher laws for all cruelty to animals.This country is far too soft on people who neglect and abuse animals.
I have adopted 4 animals all from the RSPCA one of my cats was from a house where 90 cats were living all neglected ! a lot of them had to be put down! my cat i adopted was in such a state luckily he pulled through but a gorgeous well looked after cat now!
The problem is situations like this should not be allowed to happen in the first place.A bigger awareness towards animal cruelty needs to be made also the law regarding animal cruelty toughening and updating and in my opinion prison sentences given to all offenders.
There are some disgusting things done to animals , all you have to do is pick up a newspaper yet these people in some cases get a silly fine - this is not enough!

donna-arc said:
These are American articles. In Britain these people are referred to as 'animal hoarders'.
They aren't people (like most of us!) who simply have a lot of animals. They are people who are out of touch with reality - having dead, ill or starving animals and are unable to see that there is a probem. It has now been identified as an actual medical problem.

Thank you for clarifying what the term means. I dont see any reason for most people to feel aggrieved. People with a certain number of animals that are well cared for is fine. What im talking about and what I posted links to, albeit american ones, is the hoarders you describe. They cannot be compared to breeders (up the thread) as breeders tend to keep their animals caged and usually keep records. Collectors, from my experience, are those that dont turn animals away when they are already struggling financially, emotionally and mentally. Conditions become overcrowded, animals start to multiply, perpetuating an already dire situation and so the problem begins. There are many well documented cases in the UK. Yes, its a newly named phenomenon but it has been going on for years. People have different motives for becoming collectors. The motive to me is irrelevant as the animals welfare must take priority. If collectors cannot self manage than they should have the animals removed and prevented from aquiring more. Sometimes it is only the 'shock' of prosecution and being publically named and shamed that prevents the situation continuing.
The issue at its core is that humans have rights and animals dont. Prosecution is hampered by human rights. This situation will be considerably altered by the new animal welfare bill. Once introduced the RSPCA and CPS will no longer need to prove neglect and suffering, only the likelihood of it. It cant come a day too soon for some animals.
Wendy.

You would have to be mentally deficient or unbalanced to watch dead animals rot around you whilst claiming you love them - I don't think anyone on this forum who has lots of pets would fall into that category![/quote]

Well, you'd be surprised....
The problem with people like this is that they are so far in denial. They may come accross as caring and loving and are usually quite knowledgeable but the facts are mostly hidden from the public. Hoarders are often collecting for long periods before eventual discovery. With rabbits its even easier because you are expected to keep them in your yard, so out of sight of the general public. I should imagine its neighbours complaining about the smell of rot that gets most cases investigated.
Wendy.

Tamsin said:
I think this is the key thing:

Animal collectors are people who harbor large numbers of animals and fail to provide them with proper food, water, or medical care.

It's not the number of animals that defines a collector it's that they don't provide adaquate living conditions and vet treatment and yet continue to take on more animals.

It's important to know your limits, for some people that might be one or two animals others a dozen (or 46). It all depends on how much time, space and money you have available to dedicate to them.

Tamsin

Absolutely right Tamsin but I would also add the important point of the psychotic nature of the illness. This must surely impact on the ability to care.
W.

coolectors

Hi again...can I ask you again what qualifications you have to enable you to make judgements of others rabbit owners as you havn,t answered my previous question. I believe that personal attacks on forum members are not allowed so do be careful of what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back