• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - again!!

Lynsey

Young Bun
Hi - well, it's been over 2 weeks since Hermione was spayed so I've been introducing her to Phoenix in our greenhouse (neutral territory but lots of dust to be kicked up!) :roll:

The first two sessions have started well with them alternating between sniffing and ignoring each other, but 5-10 minutes into the session, Phoenix seems to go for Hermione. I think it is his insecurity/nerves getting the better of him as H seems pretty chilled out about the whole thing. When he goes for her she gives as good as she gets though, and I have to wade in and separate them. They then go back to padding around for a bit before the next scuffle breaks out.

Today I am going back in armed with a water squirter, and there is always the car journey trick to try, but wonder if I am moving too quickly. They have had their runs next to each other for a number of weeks so far, and have had sessions where they have both been on someone's lap being stroked next to each other without any incident.

Right, off to the green house to have more fur flying - wish me luck :!:

Lynsey

Sounds like you are doing everything right so far. If you have plenty of time to do a long session just keep continueing. When I am pairing up I tend to have a broomstick ready to use to separate them (saves me getting bitten) and then break them up if they start scuffling, then give them lots of strokes and fuss with them next to each other after I have broken them up and then let them continue with someone standing by twatching them, breaking them up each time and repeating the strokes each time they scuffle. They do usually sort themselves out.

Good luck

Janice

I'm getting a 3rd rabbit next week who is seven years older than Hector and Kitty! Whilst I'm not going to bond them entirely (I feel that Hector and Kitty may be too 'mad' for dear old Teddy!), I am hoping that they will interact with each other!

Good luck, I will watch your progress with interest (and hopefully get a few ideas!)

Thanks everyone, actually Friday went a bit better. :) We had 2 sessions in the greenhouse, morning and evening. Both times Hermione hopped around assertively while Phoenix kept his head down in the corner although did manage to sniff her a couple of times without attacking. I guess this is good news, so we'll keep going and hope he gets braver. :)

Lynsey

Back