• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bunny who nips

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hello all,

I am getting a rescue bunny very soon who is very sweet and gentle, apart from when you reach into his cage to pick him up when he occasionally tries to nip, or (more often) grunts at you. We believe this may be due to trauma of some sort associated with his cage, and can sympathise entirely, but how do we correct this behaviour? Do we just keep being kind and gentle in the hope that his behaviour will calm down, or do we correct him in some way (by saying "no", for instance)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I have only dealt with a nervous bunny before as opposed to one who nips or shows aggressive "bluffs".

AMETHYST

Is he neutered? Some bunnies can be protective of their houses. A good way to tell whether this is the problem is seeing whether its whether it's only when you go to pick him up or also if you move his toys or go to take his food bowl.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Yes, he is neutered. It appears to be whenever you reach into his cage, but particularly when you put his food down or try to pick him up.

AMETHYST

I will only pick up Smudge when he is out of his cage, as he gets aggressive if you try to pick him up whilst in it.
I always let him climb out of his hutch first. He isn't too bad then.
My Smudgster (also a rescue bun 3 times over) has other issues as well as this, I try to deal with each one seperately.

Myrtle used to be like that when i got her from the rspca, it takes a while for them to get used to you.

I have one bun (Mopsy) that was beaten with sticks by its previous owner and I have had her for 2yrs now, she lived with another bun (Flopsy)who was treated in the same way. I had to seperate them as Mopsy took her aggresion out on Flopsy and now Flopsy is absolutely great is still a bit nervous with strangers but that is to be expected. Mopsy on the other hand can still be aggresive and protects her hutch, in fact she bit me this morning as I went to give her her breakfast. She can be loving but you cannot pick her up and she will only come out of her hutch when she wants. Its not surprising really as she only came out of her hutch at her previous home to be beaten.

kayj said:
I have one bun (Mopsy) that was beaten with sticks by its previous owner and I have had her for 2yrs now, she lived with another bun (Flopsy)who was treated in the same way. I had to seperate them as Mopsy took her aggresion out on Flopsy and now Flopsy is absolutely great is still a bit nervous with strangers but that is to be expected. Mopsy on the other hand can still be aggresive and protects her hutch, in fact she bit me this morning as I went to give her her breakfast. She can be loving but you cannot pick her up and she will only come out of her hutch when she wants. Its not surprising really as she only came out of her hutch at her previous home to be beaten.
that is appalling- I hope Mopsys previous owner was prosecuted :evil:

Unfortunately not. At least she has been with me for the past 2 years and is very muched loved regadless of how she acts.

hopefully you wont need any tips on how to deal with a bunny who nips as rabbi seems to be so much better since he has been with china!

sophie

sophiemarmion said:
hopefully you wont need any tips on how to deal with a bunny who nips as rabbi seems to be so much better since he has been with china!

I really hope so! I just wanted to check that my reactions wouldn't reinforce his behaviour. If there was ever a sweet little bunny to sort him out it would be my China! She's such a sweetie pie!

Thanks for pairing them up, Sophie.

AMETHYST

Hiya :)
We have had bunnies here with this exact same behavioural problem in the past, and i have found that the way forward is not to pop your hand into the hutch with the bunny inside.
If they have a fear response, you need to regain their trust, and teach them that hands are kind and gentle.
I suggest popping a carrier in front of the hutch and trying to encourage the bunny into it. Fill it with hay and tasty treats, and the bunny will soon learn to hop in.
This will enable you to clean out the hutch safely, and avoid winding an already stressed out rabbit up inadvertently.
Do not enter the hutch whilst they are present, as they need to feel this is their safe space and sanctuary.
Instead spend lots of time sitting bunny on your lap, stroking and gently grooming,and allow to sniff your hand.
Once this has been done with confidence, then slowly progress to extending your hand to gently stroke bunny whilst on the floor or running around.
Ultimately, once the bunny has been retrained that hands are pleasant and bring food and give strokes, then you should find you will be able to pop your hand inside the hutch.
It is a good idea to talk to your bunny as you approach them to soothe and make them aware that you are approaching, this way they are less likely to attack your hand.

Hope this gives you a few ideas and starting point
Good luck and let us know how things go.
best wishes
Adele

When we kept Panzy in a hutch I got my hubby to convert the top of the hutch so it lifted up instead of us having to reach inside the cage from the front, he was far more accepting of this, he used to pounce on our hands when we went in from the front but didnt mind at all when we put our hands in from the top. It may work for you bun too?

5cutebunnies said:
When we kept Panzy in a hutch I got my hubby to convert the top of the hutch so it lifted up instead of us having to reach inside the cage from the front.

Our indoor cage has a large hatch at the top so it's easy to reach in from the top, whereas reaching in from the front is almost impossible anyway as the fold-down door is very small. So hopefully that setup will be more comfortable for him. Thanks!

AMETHYST

Back