• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my 2 new bunnies misbehaving

toria

Warren Scout
Hello, I`ve just posted info on my 2 new bunnies in the chat section. They are only 8 wekks old and are a boy and girl. I do know what this means, I only want them as pets not to breed so undrstand they would need neuteringbut today, I go to feed them and the cheeky boy is trying his cheeky best to have his way with the poor girl. They are not even on first name terms yet!! (as they are nameless at mo) The boy was doing it the wrong end but did try the other until I stopped him. I don`t know if this has happened when I didn`t see. But they are only 8weeks old and I don`t know what to do. So i seperated them in the shed. One is in the hutch and the other in the box. They can still see each other. I`m worried as I don`t want a pregnancy. I just wanted them to enjoy their new home, not a bit too much.
They were going to the vets for a check up anyway, what do you all think??

I'm not an expert but I think folks have mentioned on here before that they are too young to make babies at that age, but the boys sometimes try a practice run. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly to offer some advice.

Females become normally become sexually mature between 14 and 16 weeks. At 8 weeks old she is too young to be spayed, some vets will neuter them from 4months others will wait until 6 months, it is better if they are done younger as when they are older they develop a layer of fat around their uterus so there is more to cut through. Males become sexually mature usually around the 12 - 15 week mark and can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop.

Discuss with your vet the age at which they are prepared to neuter them.

Janice

been to vets.

Hello, Today I took my 2 bunnies to the vets for a check up etc. They are both OK. They also had the first of their injections. I told the vet about what happened. He said I should seperate them now until they are neutered. Well, I don`t want to risk itbut to be truthful Im quite upset as having only just had them I was so looking forward o them just getting sed to their new home and hopping abiut and me getting to know them together. So, the male is in their hutch and the female is in an indoor plastic rabbit home. They are both in the shed and can see each other as I want that contact. They get on well overwise. My dad is going to pu a net divide in the middle of the shed so that they both can comeout to run about in their own halfs but still be together. I really do hope I`m doing the right thing for them. I feel such a fool really as it has took me such a long time to get these after my rabbit Fuzzy died. I just wanted to enjoy them for abit without worrying. So when did any of you getyour lionhead and mini lops neutered and how did you get on with a mixed sex pair?

I got my male neutered at 5 months and then got my female. She was already spayed at 4 1/2 months. I think the partition is a great idea until the male gets neutered (and then keep them separated for another month).

Don't feel bad - the important thing is you've corrected the problem and are dealing with it in all the right ways. :)

AMETHYST

Thank you

Hi, thanks for the advice etc.
I think the best thing is when I take them back for the second injections in a month, I`ll make sure I see the vet I have dealt with in th past and ask her for advice, and whatshe thinks to do for best. Until thn thay will have to wave at each other. My dad is coming to put a partition in he shed too. Just disapointing that I didn`t have thee chance to see them together in their new home.

Back