• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about my 2 new girls

chinakit

Warren Scout
I have just got 2 new rabbits from a local rescue centre, and would like advice .... and some reassurance!!

First, the reassurance! I will be having them spayed once they have settled in. How long should I leave them to settle in before getting them spayed? Also can anyone reassure me that they will be ok with the anaesthetic? I worry like mad about these things. I put off having my little dog spayed for 18 months, but when I did eventually go for it, she was absolutely fine, but I still worry. What is the best anaesthetic for rabbits (just so I can check what my vet uses). My vet is very good, and I have used them for over 10 years now, so I do trust them. I've had male rabbits neutered before, but never females, so I am nervous.

Also, what about vaccinations? I got the bunnies last week, how long should I leave it before getting them done?

Finally a slight worry. One of the bunnies, the Netherland, has slight scabs all over her body ... the rescue centre said another rabbit attacked her. She also has a couple of lumps underneath. I've had rabbits and guinea pigs before, and it feels to me like mastitis!! I also noticed a slight amount of blood on the shavings this morning. I know it sounds silly, but I think this rabbit has had babies (or aborted) recently, before I got her, although the rescue centre said nothing about this. She is also quite thin, which might support my (yes I know weird) theory. I will be taking her to the vets as soon as I can next week for a check up.

Any advice / help / opinions etc welcome!

Chinakit
Jane

hi

Well done for rescuing your bunnies! - It's common for bunnies to develop abscecces from a bite wound, and as rabbit pus is hard rather than runny like we expect pus to be, it makes a lump...This article has a lot of info about abscesses http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/abscesses.htm

They are treated differently by different vets, and depending on if they are doing any harm - sometimes they don't bother the rabbit. It sounds like she needs some TLC so I'm glad you adopted her as she needs a vet's attention. Not sure about the blood :?

When I adopted my boys it took about 3 months to settle them in really well, with a routine and they totally trusted me by that time as I tried not to spook them in any way while they weren't sure about me - there's no rush with spaying if they are youngish and not fighting each other - I'm assuming they are bonded together? If your vet's neutered boy bunnies successfully I guess he knows about anaesthesia and not starving them before an op - main thing with females is pain relief for when the pain kicks in - it can stop them eating if they are in too much pain and that's crucial to their survival. I guess you can get them vaccd for myxi straight away, and VHD is supposed to be 2 weeks after that to ensure effectiveness of the vaccine. It will stress them though, so I would keep an eye on them after and tempt them with some herbs, grass and nice hay if they feel a bit run down with it...

Did the rescue give you their food so that you can swap them over slowly to the brand you want to use? See if they'll give you some if not.

Good luck :)

Hi, thanks for your advice.

Do you mean rabbits should not be starved before an op? It's so long ago that I had my boys done that I can't remember what my vets said back then.

Also do I need to ask for pain relief medication to give them, as well as the injection the vets give after the op?

They are not fighting or anything, but the bigger one does keep trying to mate with the smaller one (the one with the scabs/bleeding/lumps). I have checked and they ARE both girls :D

Should I get them both spayed on the same day? Or do one, then get the other done later?

I will wait a couple of weeks for the vaccinations.

Jane
chinakit

Hiya,

It sounds like a vet check up is a good idea. Bunnies need two vaccinations, two weeks apart. Your vet may suggest not vaccinating the Netherland until her health it back to 100%. If her immune system is already busy it's best not to add a vaccination on top of that. The other bun could have it's first jab then though. Usually myxi is done first then two weeks later VHD.

How old are the bunnies? They're both girls right? Female bunnies can be neutered from 6 months. As long as they're aren't any behaviour issues then I'd leave neutering til they have settled and had their vaccs.

So if you planned something along the lines of myxi vacc first, two weeks later vhd vacc and two weeks after that spaying.

Tam

Hi Tam

Will get the Nethie to the vets for a check up this week, then discuss the vaccs and spaying with him then. Thanks for your advice.

They don't have any behaviour problems, except Bluebell, the Dwarf Lop keeps trying to mate with Buttercup, the Nethie.

I might get her spayed first, then Buttercup later when her health has improved.

Thanks again!

Chinakit
Jane xx

hi

I would say that the smaller rabbit is being bullied by her friend as they are both unspayed - Are you sure there is no scratching or biting going on when you're not around? I would remove the smaller one as not only is she already in poor health, but the stress of being constantly harrassed by the big one may make her even less able to cope. Do you have a spare cage or hutch?

If I was in your position I would get the big rabbit spayed first as she is the dominant one who is acting hormonal - The little rabbit needs to get her other health issues sorted out before undergoing major surgery I think.

Rabbits must NOT be starved before surgery - and they need encouragement to eat as soon as they come round from the anaesthetic as their gut goes into freeze mode if it's left empty for too long, which is very serious and can kill them...Preferably the vet should do invisible stitches inside and glue the skin outside, or some bunnies chew the stitches out - and a collar just means they can't eat their night time poops, which again is not ideal for them....Lots of people here have not been given extra painkillers and their bunnies have recovered fine, but I know of one that died, so I would ask for metacam drops or give the rabbit a quarter asprin dissolved in water and apple juice if she seemed to be struggling once the vet's dosage wore off - but that's not standard practice!

Mainly get them drinking by giving water in a bowl, with a dash of apple juice maybe - and eating whatever they feel tempted with - it's hard to say grass or greens as I'm not sure what they're used to - if they haven't eaten them before then that would be a bad idea! - what are they eating at the mo?

Re: hi

elve said:
:) I'd agree with Tam about vaccs first - only she types faster than me!

:lol:

I'd agree that spaying the one doing the mounting first would be a good idea. Unless the littleun gets any new wounds then I wouldn't seperate them but it's certainly worth keeping an eye that it's not the lop just incase.

It's something that should be sorted by the neutering but in the mean time make sure the little one gets her share of the food two, you might want to give them two bowls opposite ends of the hutch.

You shouldn't use asprin before or after surgery as it thins the blood so a wound won't clott and scab over as well. Usually the vet gives a painkiller that lasts 24hours and sometimes metacam afterwards.

I wouldn't recommend getting the little one neutered before the big one as the mounting wouldn't be good for recovery but I don't think there would be a problem with them done together or the bigger one first. If the dwarf lop calms done after neutering you can put the littleun in with her when she is neutered otherwise you might need to seperate the little one for a little while so she can recover.

Tam

I don't think Bluebell is bullying Buttercup, she's actually quite a gentle rabbit, even though she's bigger than Buttercup. I do have a spare hutch but really don't want to split them up if I can help it.

The bites that Buttercup has on her body were caused by a different bunny at the animal shelter. When I chose her she was on her own, and I asked the people at the shelter to recommend a gentle calm friend for her and they suggested Bluebell. I do have a weird suspicion that she's had babies recently though (maybe that's why she ended up at the animal rescue?).

When I get them spayed I will make sure I get Metacam for them afterwards, as I don't want them to suffer any really bad pain.

I'm not going to rush into the vaccs or spaying, will do it,but in time. I want to make sure that Buttercup is healthy and both buns are happy and settled first.

hi

Hmmm - this is an odd situation I think - is it normal for a rescue to throw 2 rabbits together without slowly bonding them first, especially if one of them is already afraid of other rabbits due to being attacked?

Tamsin - anyone??

Would you call this a bonded pair? Isn't it hard to bond 2 does anyway?

My feelings are that the nethie is living in fear, so she may not be eating enough and must surely be under a great deal of stress if she is being mounted frequently by a rabbit she only met last week.

I would say it's urgent that Bluebell is spayed, and that they should be seperated until she's recovered from the op as she will still mount Buttercup and may injure herself as well...

Sorry if this isn't very welcome advice - I just can't imagine the little bunny, Buttercup, settling and recovering while she's trapped in this situation.

Will shut up now :)

elve said:
Hmmm - this is an odd situation I think - is it normal for a rescue to throw 2 rabbits together without slowly bonding them first, especially if one of them is already afraid of other rabbits due to being attacked?

Tamsin - anyone??

Would you call this a bonded pair? Isn't it hard to bond 2 does anyway?

:)

I agree elve - I don't think many rescues would do this without the situation being carefully monitored and most I would think would opt for a proper controlled bonding process and careful monitoring and certainly with the history of one of them being afraid already.

Re the Doe pairing - Buffs and Cagney are both does and me being me I took a very gentle route to bonding them both which actually took around 6 weeks approx which was done part at home with me and then the final process was on completely neutral ground at Adele's. They still had the initial "who's boss" conversation but now their bond is so close they are real partners in crime :lol: :lol: - so it can be done but I definately think a more gradual process pays off.

chinakit - Soz went off track there a little - there's some great advice here already for you but re the Vets - ask them if they use Isoflourane for anaesthetic as this is the gas one and I think its recommended as safest for use in bunnies.

Hope this helps :wink:

OK, will do, regarding the anaesthetic.

Bluebell really isn't leaping on Buttercup all the time at all!

The rescue she came from isn't the best .... all the animals are kept clean and well fed, but that is about all. They once sold me a dog that was pregnant, refused to help with the cost of looking after the puppies but said they would take them off my hands (for free) when they were older (so they could sell them at £50 each yeah?). They don't do home checks either.

I know I might be 'slammed' on here for taking the rabbits from somewhere like that, but I fell in love with them and did feel quite sorry for them. I have had various animals for over 30 years, and I know the things you should Not Do (like buying from pet shops etc), but sometimes I disobey my own internal voice and go ahead anyway.

The rabbits are with me now, and will get a very good life. The 2 buns never fight, and Bluebell does not bully Buttercup, she is a very gentle rabbit. If someone thinks I really should separate them, urgently and desperately for the sake of Buttercup, I will, but I have watched them - both are eating well, she isn't being bullied out of eating! Both lie down together and seem very relaxed.

I have ordered them a huge hutch, and once settled they will also have free time in my fully enclosed garden every day.

Chinakit

I think the important thing is that these 2 bunnies will have a loving home, with lots of tlc, not where they came from. We all just have the bunnies best interests at heart on here.
My two does (unfortunately at the bridge) had to be spayed as they had periods of loving each other, then huge fights too!! However, they had no other health considerations. You and your vet will be able to find the best solution for them i'm sure.
Best of luck

hi

Thanks for keeping us posted - you're really the best judge as only you see them together - I was just going on what you said initially, not trying to give you a hard time or anything...

there seems to be quite a few rescues around where the animals need rescuing from the rescue - well done for taking these two on and doing your best for them :D

HS said:
I think the important thing is that these 2 bunnies will have a loving home, with lots of tlc, not where they came from. We all just have the bunnies best interests at heart on here.
My two does (unfortunately at the bridge) had to be spayed as they had periods of loving each other, then huge fights too!! However, they had no other health considerations. You and your vet will be able to find the best solution for them i'm sure.
Best of luck

Thank you Helen, I really needed that. Was feeling really down that I had done the wrong thing. My buns are not fighting at all, but I am worried about Buttercup the little one. I will see about getting Bluebell spayed as soon as possible.
Jane

elve said:
Thanks for keeping us posted - you're really the best judge as only you see them together - I was just going on what you said initially, not trying to give you a hard time or anything...

there seems to be quite a few rescues around where the animals need rescuing from the rescue - well done for taking these two on and doing your best for them :D

Thanks Elve, I was actually quite upset thinking I had done the wrong thing in even getting these bunnies. I know I can give them a good home with plenty of TLC.
Chinakit

donna-arc said:
Don't be daft, Chinakit, sounds like you've done your girls a favour by taking them in!

Thanks Donna .... I still feel quite confused though, about whether I should separate these girls or not. My own gut reaction is to keep them together for now, and I think they will be even better when the Bluebell has been spayed. Will be taking Buttercup to the vets as soon as I can get her in this week, and will ask about getting Bluebell spayed then.

I had them out of the hutch for a while this morning, and have noticed that they are both a little bit skinny and need feeding up.

All animals that live with me get the best care and food that money can buy ... they are my hobby and my family and get everything they deserve!

You can actually see them so your the best judge :) Occational mounting isn't unusual in pairs. If the injuries are all from before you brought them home and you don't feel that she is being bullied then go with your instincts :D Without actually seeing the bunnies our interpretation is only a guess.

I'd take both of them when you go to the vet, bunnies are less stressed when they have their friend with them and then Buttercup won't come home smelling different and trigger off more mounting.

A few oats help with fattening up but it might be worth holding off on that until they've had more chance to settle in so it doesnn't upset there tummies.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Back