• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaninga shed

toria

Warren Scout
Hello, I haven`t been able to do much since I last wrote. I have gott a shed ready for a bunny or 2. I have got some lino for the floor and an internal hutch inside the shed to house them at night for safety and somewhere to hide. I`ve been cleaning all my rabbit things that belonged to my rabbit Fuzzy who died. Sounds stupid I know-but I hope that this is Ok?
Also I`m wondering aboutcleaning the shed beforeit has occupants and when I do - the shed walls must really need to be cleaned as well as the hutch and floor and everything too, must ir not??? I mean where it is contat with rabbits. I know this all sounds so silly but I really want to be sure I`m doing things right. In the past I have just been use to cleaning out the hutch,now I have a shed I`m wondering how much I have to do. I`m mad I know but hopefully someone will be able to tell me what thy do? Thank you, your help would be much apprieciateed.

You could buy a product called Virkon from stores that sell horse feed etc or over the internet (pet version). If you buy a spray bottle then mix up the virkon and spray it all over the shed and hutch, this should kill any bacteria/viruses and dries leaving no residue so totally safe for pets.

When I put up my playhouses I didn't bother cleaning them just swept them out and popped the rabbits in but they were brand new.

Caz

hi

Yes you could disinfect to be safe

I have all my gpigs in the shed and I sweep floor every day and wash floor with disinfect once a week or when I clean out their hutches.

I dont blame you on wanting to do it right, im the same, if ive had a poorly animal in a cage I scrub it until im satisfied to be safe.

I have in the past asked my vet to give me some special disinfect to do cages if its been really contagious..

Sweety

When I got my bunnies from a rescue they suggested putting lino in the bottom of the shed to make clearing out easier - I never got round to doing it but wondered if others thought it a good idea - don't know if rabbits would try and nibble edges??

yes lino is brilliant, so easy to clean, as to nibbling well it just depends on the rabbit, two of mine did eat the lino and the other two don't chew it at all, definently worth investing in, I go to my local carpet shop and he usulaly has small roll ends going cheap.

hi

Hi Lino great

But not with my piggies :lol: tey chew and eat anything like that, so I stick to wood which is a pain to clean sometimes, I want laminate floor, in fact I got given some but im waiting to get a new bigger shed as my pigs have outgrown it..

Lino makes it far far FAR easier to clean out. I cannot recommend it enough.

As for nibbling, you can prevent this by putting wooden battens around the edges so they can't get an edge started.

Like this (look at where the lino ends half way up):

topfloor.jpg

hi

Hi

Wow thats brilliant, I may well consider that when I get a bigger shed which im hoping to by the winter, im looking for one right now.

Sweety

Back