• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SINGLE BUNS

Blossom_Flora

Young Bun
hey everyone, i was just wondering if rabbits mind being kept alone - do they prefer a friend or can they be just as happy with human company? i was wondering becuase some people told me that rabbits are not sociable animals and prefer being alone and some other people have told me that they are happier with a friend. which is right? also, are larger rabbits generally more docile or is it just the individual rabbits (another thing i have been told by someone)?

Well i can't speak for all rabbits but Toby has been alone for all 13 years of his life and his a chilled happy bunster :wink: It depends on the rabbit, but a rabbit being alone isn't going to harm it.

I htink it depends where they're kept as well. Squidgy's quite happy as he lives with us and has our company (my o/h works at home). The outside bunnies I wouldn't like to keep on their own, as they would spend much of their time without any company at all. It really all depends on the bunny!

i personally dont think that it is fair to keep rabbits on there own unless they are house rabbits as they get more attention inside. i dont think that you can say whether a rabbit would or wouldnt like to have a friend because they do, in the wild they live in large family groups and i know that keeping them in a hutch isnt like being out in the wild but having a friend is more natural for them.
i have a bunny here called buffy who we tried to pair up twice and each time she was really aggressive towards the boy and we were convinced she wanted to be kept alone, until we tried once more and she is now madly in love with bruce and the 2 are inseparable. i think when you have seen two bunnies together that do love each other, and are always sittong together, grooming each other and eating out of the same food bowl, it isnt fair to deny other rabbits this. i know many people decide to keep them alone, but i think outside bunnies should have a bunny friend.

sophie

Sophie is an only bun but gets LOADS of attention as I only work part time :D She is very affectionate and the best bun in the world!!!! (IMO) :lol:

Harry lived as a single for the first 4 years of his life, with no affect on his happiness.
He has now lived in a group of 4 for the last 2 years and he's just as happy in fact they keep him young 8)

I agree if they have a lot of ur attention then theres no problem keeping them on there own, if u were not there in the day then i would say get a companion. val

hi

I love seeing my 2 (neutered brothers) snuggling up together - If one of them is a bit quiet, or a noise frightened it, the other one goes up and nudges him and licks his face to comfort him - When they're outside they follow each other - 'hmm - Benny went in the kitchen - I'm missing something!' and off goes Pepsi after him, so they get more exercise when they have a buddy, and that's good for their health...Plus they clean each others ears and eyes, and keep each other warm in winter...

But if a bunny is kept on its own they tend to bond to you as their buddy - so it's important to spend hours playing with them and grooming them and spend time just sitting with them watching the world - you become an honorary bunny! Can't say I fancy licking Pepsi's ears though :lol:

Hiya I think as far as possible that bunnies should have the opportunity to have a bunny buddy :)
However, many bunnies seem to thrive on a one to one relationship with us humans, or just be happy to have other bunnies in the environment but not actually together.
I have heard quite a few cases where people have got a potential buddy for their rabbit, only to find despite the bunnies being neutered, and introduced properly, things went pear shaped. The result being two bunnies being kept separate permanently and frustrated, disappointed owners :?
Bunnies like us humans choose their friends, and whilst lots of bunnies love the companionship of other bunnies (and what is nicer than seeing two bunnies snuggled up together :p ), many prefer their own (and human) company.
It really depends on your own individual rabbits personality :)
One way to find out yuor bunnies reaction to another rabbit is to pop him/ her along to a local rescue where they may help bond bunnies up for you, or can advise as to how to go about this process.
I do not think people should be made to feel guilty for keeping a single rabbit. :) As long as you give your bunny all the time and attention you can, they should be fine :) In addition if you are keeping a bunny by itself, pop a cuddly toy in his/ her hutch to cuddle up to when you are not around, and groom your bunny daily (a role normally done by another bunny) :)

My buns all llive on their own and they seem fine. I've got 3 does and although I have tried to bond them, being females it hasn't worked! I'd love to get a boyfriend for Amy but unfortunately not allowed anymore bunnies. I spend as much time with them as poss and they get free range of the garden for a few hours everyday where they can see eachother and sit next to eachother (wire between of course!).

I don't think people should feel guilty for keeping single buns as sometimes things just don't go your way. My last 2 females weren't 'chosen' by me. One was from a friend who didn't want her and the other was from the rescue I work at.

My buns all seem happy and they get lots of attention from me and always have lots to do (hay, treat balls) etc during the day.

Nicola

Im afraid this is something I feel very strongly about. Like Sophie I have to agree that bunnies appreciate the company and should be kept in pairs. I would never keep a bunny on its own and never rehome one to live on its own. I am yet to find a bunny that I have not managed to pair up. While it is true that many house bunnies bond very well with their owners it is not possible to be with them 24 hours a day which means spending a large part of the day alone. I dont personally feel that anything can ever compensate for a companion of their own kind. I have seen many bunnies who may appear to be happy on their own but once given a friend you can really notice the difference.
I am aware this may hit hard with some people who dont share my views but I am just expressing my opinion.

Cheryl

Back