• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoors or outdoors?

blackash

New Kit
I would like my rabbit to live indoors when I'm at home on an evening and outdoors in a cage with run attached through the day. Will this be unfair to him (or confusing) having 2 homes? :D

My four used to live inside in the evenings and outside in a run during the day. They love going outside.

Now they live in wendyhouses in the garage as my o/h thought we were getting a bit overrun but they still go outside during the day they don't seem to be confused.

Caz

My bunny started off outside in a great hutch my brother built for me. He used to come indoors in the evening but would kick up a big fuss when it was time for bed!! :twisted: He would try and escape and run off and kick. Then when he was back in his hutch outside he would bang around for ages making me feel bad. In the end i couldn't bear to put him out there anymore esp when the weather was bad (plus i have a paranoid fear of someone stealing him from the garden) so hence he now lives indoors full time and loves it. He also loves to go outside when the weather is nice but refuses to go in a run!!!!!! So we run around together outside!

I think it's a good idea. I think I might do this too with the new bunnies. My existing two are indoor rabbits but we don't have a garden at the moment (but are moving soon). We are getting another pair and I think this would be a good set-up for them, esp as I will have to keep them separate from my other two. But I would never leave them out at night as scared of foxes. Also they will get more fuss and attention if we have them indoors!

Hi
Thanks to everyone for their advise.
Ashley will definitely be in the house most of the time & in the garden through the day. He's not too keen on his outdoor cage & I'm worried about him been pinched or been attacked by a fox. :D

I keep my two in the house all day and they have free range of the house apart from the living room and bedrooms ( because of cables). When i get home from work in the evening i generally open the back door and sit outside and wait to see if they want to come out. They choose themselves if they want to go out or not. I couldnt keep them outside for fear of something happening to them. I supervise them at all times when they are in the garden. ( Orio thinks hes an escape artist :lol: :lol: ). They feel more at ease as well if i am out there just incase theres a loud noise or something scary like that.

Back