• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tunnels!

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Jesus guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :? :?

My life with these buns is never simple!

This morning i went out to let the buns out on the garden; in their hutch we built a little brick house just for them to sit in, u kno for a bit of variety. Anyway, we hav noticed over the last few days that Coco has been enjoying a bit of diggin in their but we thought it was nice to c her rabbit instincts comin out, anyway today i noticed that there was LOADS of piles of soil so i investigated...

What did i find? That they have blocked up (very compactly) the entrance to her little hole, I, being nosey wanted to see how deep she'd gone so i unblocked it and OH MY GOD! A gigantic tunnel that my arm coldnt even reach the end of! So being even nosier, i guessed a bit and dug my own hole about half a metre away straight into the grass, and OH MY GOD again, there is a burrow! But worse, its filled with fur!!!!!!!!!

NESTING........Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Checked Coco and sure enough she has a bald tummy. Now, Tyke has been done so it aint him, so it must be Pip (remember the poor little bun i took in after he was neglected?) anyway I didnt think it could be him as our vet told me that he wouldnt be able to .. u kno.. as he was weak and not that advanced, she also said it would be atleast a month from when she saw him but I didnt even leave it that long to be on the safe side!

They were only together about another week bcos once he regained energy he got very aggressive so i had to seperate him totally from the others...and now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope TO GOD this is a phantom! Coco is Mitsy baby and shes only 7months, But if it isnt why is she now blockin up the entrance?

I cant cope with loads of bunnies again :shock: :shock:

How old was Pip when he was in with her? I wouldn't really on a bun not feeling like it for safety. It's amazing how quickly they can get in the mood when presented with a female.

It's also possible it's just a phantom pregnancy.

Do be careful they don't break out by digging under the run. I'd be tempted to block in the tunnel, lay mesh a couple of inches under the ground and give her somewhere else cosy & secure to nest if she wants too just incase. You can't keep an eye on the babies half a metre underground and you don't want them growing up with out being handled.

Tam

Back