• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holding Problems

BubbleBee

Warren Scout
My female drarf rabbit "Bubbles" has problems with me holding her, like today I tryed to pick her up but she was running around the cage when I tryed grabbing her, then she bit me! I've picked her up in the past, but thats when I had her in a carrier. But today I tryed to do it when she was in her cage. And no luck...(her cage is on the floor) Can anyone help me?

Here's a picture of the lil devil!

P1010025.jpg

Thanks!

Melissa

A lot of bunnies don't like being picked up - especially going from ground to high up.

If you put yourself in your bunny's situation it would be pretty scary if a giant came and lifted you eight times your height into the air. :shock:

I don't know how long you have had your bunny for but I think it would be best if you started off just sitting on the ground and letting her come to you - from their you could progress to her coming on your knee. bribery often works so try to incorporate a small treat :)

In her carrier she would not have been able to escape from you - but in her cage she has the opportunity to run - she sounds like she is frightened so you will have to take things really really slowly.

Even although she may eventually be happy on your lap she may never be a bunny that likes to be picked up - some just don't. Always remember that when you do hold her make her feel safe - but don't squish her :wink:

lol Pam

Agree that she sounds frightened. You've not said how old she is, but it sounds a little like a mature "territorial" thing as well.

All rabbits are different. We have three. Smokey is fine being picked up as he is placid and has been handled from an early age. Coco doesn't seemed scared of heights and (until being spayed) would growl and bite when trying to pick her up from her cage "territory". Whilst, Bluebell, runs and struggles like mad. She is the most timid of the three and was recently spayed. I've had to pick her up a couple of times each day for the past week or so for medicene and stitches checking. This has definately put our relationship back a wee bit. (She won't even come to me for treats now, but is ok with my wife, who never handles her!).

Cristian

Shes about 2-2 1/2 years old, Ive had her since she was 8 weeks old. And she is very territorial, thats why we had to seperate her with her sister when they were younger, because they were doing a "Humping" or "Mounting" way to much and they were pulling out eachothers fur. Otherwize shes happy and hopping around her cage, and she has no problem with comming to me in her cage what I have a yummy treat for her..:-/

Is she spayed? This usually has a big impact on rabbits that are territorial as it removes the hormones that drive the behaviour. The added bonus is it also prevents uterine cancer.

She's a cute little bun :D

Tam

hehe thanks, that cuteness is why I'm fighting my parents to keep her. But shes not spayed yet, Im going to get her spayed asap! or when I can get some money :thumb:

is she a netherland dwarf? i know that these bunnies can sometimes be a little grumpy at times (i have 2 myself) it may be an idea to get her a nice neutered male bunny friend as she may be bored and be frustrated. i would definitely advise you to get her spayed not just because she is grumpy but for health reasons too.

sophie

Well, Im gonna get her spayed for sure. But we have her sister "Muffin" too, and we were gonna try to get then back together after they get spayed. But yes they both are Netherland Dwarfs (picture of her sister nappin below)

P1010002.jpg

sophiemarmion said:
is she a netherland dwarf? i know that these bunnies can sometimes be a little grumpy at times
We've noticed that Squidgy is becoming a grumpy old man recently, this probably explains it.

awwww what sweet buns!!

When I first had Elvis he was quite nervous so i spent quite a lot of time sitting next to him, just stroking him and talking to him softly, i felt a bit daft at first but after a while its quite sweet. He was used to human contact as the petshop ( :oops: ) where i got him from handled their rabbits every day but he was just nervous being with someone new and in new surroundings.

After a few nights of just sitting next to him i soon built up his trust in me and now he doesnt mind being held, he has his off days but every bun does.

I dont really know the difference between the time before Elvis was neutered and the time after because when we had him only one of his .....ahem things, had dropped :oops: , as soon as the other dropped he was neutered straight away so he`s neevr really changed in behaviour as such! We never gave him chance to be a little devil!!! :twisted:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Having her spayed will help.

I mentioned above about Coco being quite territorial. She too was "bonded" with Bluebell, until she started pciking on her!

It's now 4 weeks since Coco was "done" and I can easily pick her up and trance her. Previously, I would have needed a towel and thick garden gloves to even think about this!

Cristian

Sophie, she's so sweet. :love: I love nethies! Eve if they are a little grumpy sometimes. Even as we speak Squidgy has just hurled his beloved treat ball out of the hutch! :roll:

Back