• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden end buns

Sooty

Mama Doe
The more i chat about buns i find out people have them and i didnt know. There are two who are definitely neglected. One is female and lives in a cage at the bottom of the garden. I asked if she was spayed and explained the cancer risks. She isnt and no intention of getting her done (shes 2). The other bun is being fed by my friend as the owners are on hols. He is majorly aggressive and Shirley was given gloves for wearing when she feeds him! He is put out in a run at times but again i think he isnt castrated. Shirley (who is good with animals) is terrified of him. What should i do??? I'm on hols from Sat for 3 weeks so you all have time to think of solutions for me.

Sadly there isn't anything you can do.
They belong to people and if that's the way they choose to keep them then there's nothing any of us can do.
You can give advise, as you have, but this is usually ignored.

It's really frustrating, I know. I have reports given to me all the time of bunnies being kept in horrible conditions - but unless it's out and out cruelty and I can call out the inspectors - it's out of my hands.

We can only do what we can and in this situation that isn't much.
I certainly want to save every animal in the world, but I know I can't and console myself with the fact that I do help hundreds. We all do our own bit. You have given a lovely home to 2 buns who needed you.
Don't torture yourself with things you have no power over and concentrate on the things you can.

I have this written in the front of my ARC notebook which I really like:
The world is an evil place, not only because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing. x

Hiya Sooty, I agree with Donna, it is very difficult as the bunnies belong to someone else so you cannot expect them to care for the bunnies in exactly the same way as you would.
We do not have our Does spayed here in the Sanctuary, and this is something we have decided having observed bunnies for 30 years.
This does not mean we do not understand the Cancer risks, nor love our bunnies to bits, just have a different perspective :wink: :)
You cannot enforce your own philosophy upon others as we all have different life experiences that make us draw slightly varying conclusions.

I suppose you could ask if the owner has heard of the Rabbit Welfare Association, and have a leaflet to hand for her to read if she is interested.
or ask if she has heard of this Forum, and then she may just peep in and become part of the community :D
I think we have to be patient and tolerant of others , I once kept bunnies in a hutch at the end of the garden , not because we were cruel, just niave to their needs.
If you can gain her interest in reading a rabbit Forum then you will have given her opportunity to learn, and that is the very best you can do :)

Hope you had a lovely holiday, and let us know what you decide to do.
Best wishes

just out of complete noseiness adele. why do you leave them unspayed? I love to here everyones views etc.

I was looking at all the piccies of your lovely bunnies the other day, couldnt believe how many you had, and they are soooo cute!!

This site has been invaluable to me as to learning how to take the best care I can of cobey, and also make some really nice friends too, Tamsin and yourself do a fantastic job!!

cazza269 said:
just out of complete noseiness adele. why do you leave them unspayed? I love to here everyones views etc.

Hiya, I will send you a PM later cazza, I just dont want to poach Sootys thread by sending the topic off track :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
cazza269 said:

Hiya, I will send you a PM later cazza, I just dont want to poach Sootys thread by sending the topic off track :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can i be nosey too and ask why? :)

donna-arc said:
Why don't you start a new topic, Adele. It's got to be better than PMing everyone! x

I know Donna I am beginning to think this too, but Spaying has been covered several time in the Forum now :roll: :lol: :lol:

cazza269 said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

sorry adele! me and my HUGE nose :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: aaawwww you have nothing to apologise for truly, dont worry, all is cool :wink: 8) :lol: :lol:

i had a garden end bun when i was small too so i can understand. I think i will give her a couple of leaflets as she is a really nice person and i think she would read them. My friend Lorraine (who now has Soots and Lolls for hols) and i are prepared to offer the female bun a home as Lorraines 3 buns (male) will be needing mates soon. That way her kids could see the bun and we could put it to her that we need a female bun so she doesnt feel guilty. I dont personally know the womal with the aggressive bun but i can do the info thing via a friend. Off to load up the car now. Feeling a bit low as my wee babbies are gone but happily settled in to their holiday playroom.

Hiya

It is hard when you know buns aren't being cared for properly, unfortunately all you can do is give advice and hope they listen! I don't think that not spaying a bun is neglecting it, 2 of my girls aren't spayed and there is no way that they are neglected, they are spoilt rotten! It's just a personal choice, but it doesn't make it wrong.

If there was definite cruelty involved, then of course that is wrong!

Nicola

Back