• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More bonding... :) a bit more help please...!

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
Okey, I have been making some progress bonding daisy and blaise but need some help. Here had what I've done so far:

step 1) cages next to eachother and not biting, grunting, scratching, kicking.... :roll: :lol: that was a difficult one at first, but we did it!!!

step 2) move the bonding into bathroom, where neither of them have been. I split the room in half and let them interact on their seperate sides. At first there was some biting, but then the big tough guy who wouldn't give in(blaise of course) put his head down for kisses. The problem is, both daisy and blaise are stubburn, neither of them will give in to give kisses. But, they are both lowering their heads and laying side-by-side through the seperation.

step 3) tonight I put daisy's litter box in blaise's cage, and Blaise's litter box in daisy's cage. This will get them used to having the other bun's smell around...I dont know how that will go because I just did that a minute ago.

Okey, here is where I need help please! After the litter box switching is mastered, should I switch cages for the night? Is that the best next step? I have read in tons of books and websites that that is a good place to continiue, but I just wanted to check with you guys!?

Next question. When should I put them together!? I am so nervous and I need the time to be when they are both ready? when do you suggest? please help!

sorry im no help to your question but i was going to get another bunnie and wow i didnt know how much hard work it was bonding them, i though put them in a cage together and there you go :lol: :lol: its true when they say you learn something new everyday!

Whiterabbit, if you are looking for a rabbit and would be happy with a rescue rabbit, Animal Rescue and Care would be happy to do the pairing up for you. We are based in Twickenham we have a website http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?t=1 if there is something you fancy let us know, if there is not you can always tell us what you are looking for and we will let you know if anything suitable comes in.

Charlies Angel putting them in each others cages is certainly worth doing, having them both together on your lap stroking taking turns to stroke one then the other with the same hand (transfering smells is also helpful). Really you are now almost at the stage of needing to get on with the introduction and remove the barrier. Find yourself an area which neither has been before and put them in it. I always make sure I have a broom with me to separate them with if needed (it saves getting bitten, rabbits at each other tend to not worry about what they are about to sink their teeth into). You will get some chasing, fur flying ... this is all fairly normal with most pairings. Leave them to it unless they lock on to each other doing proper small circles or are on their hind legs at each other. If they do this separate them with your broom and then spend time stroking each other and let them calm down and let them together again. They need to sort out the dominance issue, you may have to separate them a number of times. As long as they don't draw blood do try and leave them together. Do not put them in any of the cages they were in previously without thoroughly ccleaning it out and trying to remove all the smells that are in there.

Good luck

Janice

.::.whiterabbit.::. said:
do you know how close to reading it is?
quite close as she is in Bracknell so is only 1 junction down the M40 (I know 'cos I go to Costco in Reading and I'm close to Greenfields) :lol: she has some adorable bunsters and would go to great lengths to make sure the bun was perfect for you :thumb:

love to re-home one but..... while bonding going on i have no other cage to home the new one :cry: just placed ad in ad trader to see if anyone had any unwanted indoor rabbit cages/hutches!

http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/contact.asp this gives details on how to reach Lorna at Greenfields. She is on the North West side of Bracknell which I think is the side Reading is on.

If a rescue has bonded a rabbit for you, they won't let you take them away until they are happy with the relationship that the rabbits have with each other. You would then be advised to keep them together, if you separate them for periods of time you will undo the good work that someone has put into bonding them.

Janice

Thank you so much for your help! Just one more question....okey, when we switch cages, I dont clean it and we leave the other bunnies smell, or I do clean it so the other bun can make their smell? DO you clean before or after?

You are right, you don't clean it before you put them in each others cage for the switch. It is meticulously clean everything after you have bonded them so nothing belongs to anyone.

Janice

just making sure of a few more things before I start! Okey, when I switch cages, I leave all of the scent of the other bunnies, and dont change/clean a thing...right?

After the switch, I return them to their cages. Do I clean out their cages...or leave the scent of the other bun in it?

Now, after this step, is it time to do the serious bonding when I put them together....or should I wait a little longer and do more seperated bonding. I just want to make sure everything goes right :D !

One more question...(sorry :roll: :oops: :lol: )...when I do put them together for the first time, should I put them in a larger area...like a bedroom(which they have both never been in) or a small bathroom?

When I switch cages, I leave all of the scent of the other bunnies, and dont change/clean a thing...right? CORRECT

After the switch, I return them to their cages. Do I clean out their cages...or leave the scent of the other bun in it? DON'T CLEAN OUT LEAVE THE SCENT.

Now, after this step, is it time to do the serious bonding when I put them together....or should I wait a little longer and do more seperated bonding. I just want to make sure everything goes right THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG YOU CAN LEAVE IT FOR A WHILE BUT I WOULD GET ON WITH IT.

One more question...(sorry )...when I do put them together for the first time, should I put them in a larger area...like a bedroom(which they have both never been in) or a small bathroom? IT DOESN'T MATTER ABOUT SIZE OF AREA, IT JUST MUST BE NEUTRAL.

Janice

Back