• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girlfriend for Charlie...

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Just wondering is there a lot more work involved in keeping two rabbits instead of the one?

I take it the cage would need to be cleaned out alot more

I'm thinking of getting Charlie a gf as i worry he's lonely. :(

In essence there isn't really more work involved.

Zeus did become a bit lax in litter habits when Athena arrived but the tray is emptied at the same rate (Athena doesn't produce that much compared to Zeus :roll: ).

The bills are twice as big for vaccination and check-ups, food and toys etc.

The stress can increase while bonding and you have two rabbits to worry over and count poos for ;).

Watching them snuggle and groom each other is lovely though!

Caz

Well I've got four now and don't really find that it's any extra work than keeping two! I guess it depends on the temprament of the rabbits. Treacle and Fudge were so messy that the other two seemed no trouble!!! :lol:

Forgot to mention they are addictive though!

I started with one - he got lonely so I got him a friend, Tamsin tempted me and I got Violet, Violet was lonely so I got her a friend (can you see a pattern emerging) ;) :lol: !

Hubby has clamped down now though!

Caz

Like others have said, double the cost. When Totti was on his own, I thought nothing could improve his quality of life as I felt I spoilt him rotten. However to see him so loved up with Brody makes me realise how wrong I was.... it was so worth the stress of bonding - you can't beat seeing 2 happy buns interacting with each other. My fave moment is when they are loose in the garden and Brody sits there. Totti binkies in circles around her - its like he's saying "hey, look at me". Bless 'em.

Te he I've had the same problem and that rabbits in need link really doesnt help!!! :wink: Unfortunately I've no husband to keep my bunny collecting under control though!!! :shock: :lol:

I have a whole family to stop me and my bunny collection is just....well i can't say anything!!!! :lol:

It would be a bit of extra work but, in my opinion, worth it. I would never have an only bun again.
In your situation, I would wait a bit - get him neutered when he is old enough then look around for a partner for him. If you got a friend for him from a rescue you could probably let Charlie choose his own wife and the rescue would probably help to bond them too.

putting aside vet bills, ive actually found it cheaper with more buns as i can now buy things in bulk, like the 20kg sacks of feed and large bales of hay, these large quantities are something you wouldnt buy a single bun.

When i had just the one bunny it was costing us approx
£8-10 pellets mth
£10 hay mth
£10 straw mth

Now i have 4 buns (soon to be 5)
20kg sack A&P £6.25 will last approx 2 mths
hay bale £4 will probably last 4-6 wks if not more!
straw £6 no longer use it for lining hutch, only use in litter tray with wood based cat litter @£1.99 per bag
I no longer use woodchip having learnt more since first getting Petey

so weve gone from spending £30 per month on 1 bunny, to spending
approximately £15 per month on 4/5 bunnies :D

BARGAIN!! :lol:

Wow Debs thats pretty good then isn't it!!

I think I will get another now so he's not lonely, but firstly i will get him neutered! When would you say the best age would be to do this?

My 2nd bunny will come from a rescue centre as i have realised the need to re home rabbits! :)

And please don't feel pressured to take any bun, however sad the story. We were looking for a gf for my friends male bun and went to a few rescues. Finally we found the perfect bun and they are a match made in heaven :love: she was even licking out his ears yesterday :roll: typical male was just laying back enjoying all the attention then sticking his head under her if she stopped for a millisecond :roll: :wink:

Aww they look so sweet together.

I'm not planning into rushing things as Charlie still needs to get neutered first you see.

Guess i'm just thinking ahead slightly! hehe :)

Thanks for the advise everyone! :)

i think its easier keeping 2! cos then you dont have to worry so much about them being lonely and needing your attention if you go out for the day etc, i cleaned out dustys litter tray every day anyway, and i still do so theres no more work in that! just a little extra food money and vacs costs

I say while you are looking after 1 then you may as well look after 21, well thats what I tell my oh and know he agrees (he has no choice).

Kay and 21buns, 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs

Back