• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding a baby and an adult

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hello,

I think that soon I will be getting a boy rescue bunny as a friend for lilly.

The one i am thinking to get is a baby lionhead about 9 weeks old - in great need of a home.

Im just wondering at what age can he be:

vaccinated
neutered
put with lilly
- so they can be bonded - as the size difference worries me even though she is only a small lop.

I believe they can be vaccinated for mxyi at 8 weeks but you may have to wait a bit for VHD I think it is from 12 weeks (probably best to check with your vet).

Neutering is from 4-6months or when the testicles descend but a vet should be able to decide if it is possible.

If Lilly is spayed you can begin bonding immediately as soon as he is settled in his new home. As he is still young the stress of moving to a new home could cause him to get ill so for the first week he needs to get settled (make sure you get some food from the lady so he doesn't get a sudden change in diet). If you can rig up as area where they can live side by side until he is settled then the initial introductions should be easier.

When he reaches an age where he needs to be neutered (he starts to pester Lilly or spray etc) then you can take Lilly along to the vets as a companion and pop him back with her straight after the op (as long as he doesn't pester her in case she retaliates and causes him to open his wound).

Zeus was twice Athena's size and she took the mounting well, in your case it is unlikely Lilly will mount him much but I am sure she won't do him any damage unless a proper fight breaks out.

Are you taking Lilly down to choose which boy she fancies best?

Caz

I bonded a 4 1/2 year old male with a 6 month old female, just over a year ago. She wasn't neutered or vaccinated until she'd settled in. My little boy loved his little girl, he was really patient and gentle with her. This was in complete contrast to his male friend who he played rough with.

I think sometimes older rabbits have great patience with the younger ones, in fact now she's keeping him young!!

We try to wait a couple of weeks before getting rabbits vaccinated or neutered after arrival with us to reduce the problems associated with stress. Obviously if there is an outbreak of myxi about we have to weigh up the risks and usually vaccinate immediatly.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

Thankyou!

Thankyou all so much for your valuable advice!!

The story of this bunny goes like this:

A lady took in an injured stray bunny, the bunny had an infection and after being at the vets the vet said there was nothing more they could do for her because the infection was so bad and antibiotics wouldnt work. They did a scan to see if she was pregnant and indeed she was. She had the babies and then had to be put to sleep because she was so ill.

There are a few babies and at lest one boy, I spoke to the lady today and she said it was fine that I was going to take lilly with me to choose one.

Lilly has been spayed. Do baby bunny's have to be kept extra warm i.e. with hot water bottles and things???? The babies are 8-9 weeks old. I.e. I have an indoor hutch in the house and a huge double decker one in the garage??? Where should the baby sleep??

Lilly is such a kind bunny, I don't think she would harm a baby, I'm just waiting for the lady to ring me back and say when I can go and visit the "little bundles of brown fluff!"

Will keep you updated!! Any other important advice/suggestions would be appreciated greatly!!

Back