• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding question

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
As you all know, I got my male Blaise a girlfriend about 2 weeks ago. They have been living in their seperate cages since then, but about 2 inches aprart. Daisy is very mellow, and I know I'm going to have no trouble with her, but its Blaise I'm worried about! He is fine with her when they are 2 inches apart, but if I have her out and she goes up the the front of his cage, he still runs at her and tries to bite. Daisy sits very still and doesn't seem to mind, bless her! I know bonding some rabbits could take months, but I'm just wondering when I should take them off of this step, and start the real bonding???? please help... :D

I am no expert but I was under the impression that the first interactions are a make or break situation. If they fight they probably always will and if they ignore each other its a good thing.

If they've been familiarising themselves with each others smells for the last couple of weeks then it may just be time. I took my Charlie to find a fella on Saturday and they hit it off very well, he chases her constantly catches up with her and has a sniff and occassionally gets a bit too friendly!!!! then they ignore each other. I'm keeping them separated at nights until he's spayed because he keeps spraying her but appart from that it seems to be a match made in heaven.

If you get a good vibe from them put them in neutral territory and see how they interact but dont if your not confident with them. I hope there is some better advise out here for you but good luck.

Can you separate the room and let them run together? Use a dog pen so they can interact through it. Feed them at either side of the wire and see what happens. He might just be jealous she is out but i'd wait a bit befiore bonding

okey, he might just be a bit territorial because his cage is right next to hers. I'm off to seperate the room.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

I just had a horrible time with that and were delaying the bonding until tomarrow!!!!!!!!
I was going to seperate my bathroom because it was a very neutrual space and small so they cant have too much room to run. I spit the room in half with a row of NIC cubes and put each bun on their sides. Then, Blaise went to nibble some of his apple and he pushed the wall down, and it fell on top of him. He freaked out but I had to grab him so he didn't go by daisy. I grabbed him and he scratched me all over the face and put him in his carrier, and back into his cage. Then I forgot daisy was still in the bathroom so I went to get her and she was so freaked out, hiding in the corner. I went to get her and got more scratches, but this time on the arm, and put her in her carrier. By the time they were both back in their cages I was so hot and sweaty, so frustrated and miserable, I just started to cry. I ran upstairs to my room to put on shorts because I was literally dying from the heat, and I bent over and smacked my head on the wall. At that point, I was on the floor crying and couldn't control it. My doggie oreo came over and gave me some "feel better" loves and I felt a lot better. Sometimes a good cry really does help you!! So, tomarrow I'm ready to do the bonding thing agian, but maybe this time I'll get some help. :roll: :lol: Sorry about going on and on with this story here, I just feel a lot better and wanted to let you know how the bonding "progress"(i guess thats what you could call it) was going :D

Don't worry we all have days like that!

I got my foot caught as I stepped over my rabbit's pen the other day and fell into a pile of their poo with the pen collapsing on top of me.

Hubby just stood there laughing!!

On Monday morning I tried to put Athena out and she scratched me over my chest - I didn't have a chance to change before work and had to spend the whole day getting comments about whether my husband was always that rough in bed :roll: ! I wore a polar neck yesterday!

Take a deep breath and start again ;) !

Good luck!

Caz

Back