• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed about keeping rabbits together asap!

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

I know its a bit soon, I've just lost jasper - my lionhead, and lilly my small lop is all alone. I walked into my local pet shop today to get some food and there they were 5 beautiful 7 week old lionheads.

There was one in particular - the largest of the litter a beautiful brown male, now Im torn and dont know what to do.

Do I get him??? Lilly has been spayed but the size difference would worry me and also I dont think I could attempt to bond them because isnt 7 weeks a little too young for that?

Please help!!

You will be better bonding at that young age as lilly will feel as if she is the boss and the baby will get out of her way! I have always found it easier bonding babies with adults as apposed to adults with adults i think it's easier!

The only thing is if you buy him you are making way for more babies in the pet shop when there are loads of lonely rabbits in rescues, waiting for a speed dating event with a gorgeous thing like Lilly.

Caz

Phill said:
You will be better bonding at that young age as lilly will feel as if she is the boss and the baby will get out of her way! I have always found it easier bonding babies with adults as apposed to adults with adults i think it's easier!

Thankyou so much,

Lilly isnt a big lop, shes small and very playful, shes kind too. I was just worried because these babies are so tiny, and they cant be spayed for months yet???? Also they would need to be vaccinated???? so they wouldnt be able to go with lilly???

Caz said:
The only thing is if you buy him you are making way for more babies in the pet shop when there are loads of lonely rabbits in rescues, waiting for a speed dating event with a gorgeous thing like Lilly.

Caz

I know, and I know exactly what you mean, and I have rescued before and would do it again, but another lionhead is what I want, and the way I see it is that these poor little creatures could go to anyone from the petshop, wheras rescued buns prospective homes will be vetted!

Don't be tempted by pet shops. There are so many lonely bunnies in rescues waiting for a lovely home... and they can help you bond your bunny by setting up dates for you too.

I.ve just rescued a gorgeous black lionhead that is approx 5 months and i'm bonding him with my recently rescued two year old and they seem to be getting on really well despite the size and age difference.

I would definately advocate rescueing, put in a search for lionheads and there is a few on this site. I know if you buy one it potentially saves one from going to a dodgy home etc, but it lines their pockets.

Hope you find what your looking for.

You would have the teenage problem of hormones to go through and might end up having to separate them before he was neutered. Lolly my lionhead was a rather special rehome. Its worth trying first

Lilly

Thanks everyone - I don't want you all thinking that I love pet shops because I don't - they should sell pet food and accessories and thats it - no livestock.

However I do rescue buns u know! for example my lilly is a rescue bun!

I've been trying so hard to find a rescue lionhead but its not working - there are none - well not up here in the north east anyway.

It's just lilly is getting so lonely, it breaks my heart, I could be waiting forever for a rescue lionhead, however I know there could be problems with a pet shop one too. Don't know what to do :(

There are often people willing to help transport a bun if you find one a little further afield. Did you try calling the rescues, often what is shown on their websites are just a few of what they have in. My geography isn't great but are places like the BunnyCamp in Bradford or Sue's Rescue in Dewsbury ear you?

Tam

I guess if anybody has a lionhead for rehoming in the North-East you're going to hear about it very very soon!!! :wink:

Have you visited any centres to meet the bunnies? Sometimes after you have had a particular breed you feel that another one is the right choice because you associate that buns wonderful personality with the breed. Rabbits temprement varies from bun to bun not neccesarily taking into account breed so you may find meeting the bunnies you'll find a bun that just feels right and you click with even if its not the breed you were expecting. That might not be the case but its worth a visit even if its just to cuddle all the cuties there :D

Tam

I know that getting a rescue bun is the best thing to do, for all of the lonely bunnies out there with out homes. But getting a bunny from a petstore is not all that horrible. I have "rescued" two buns from a petstore and I dont regret it any minute. True you have to go through the teenage stage, you have to neuter/spay the bun, and you will have to wait a while for the bonding process to begin, but if you really feel like this is the perfect bun, and you will know the feeling, "rescue" that bun and dont regret it at all!

Edit- by stating my opinion, I dont want to start that shelter bun vs. petstore bun topic...so please dont take it that way :D I really do beleive that there are ups and downs to sheter buns and petstore buns, and it is all in the person's opinion :D :D

Thankyou

Thankyou all so much for all of your advice!!!

I'm so torn as to what to do!! I've been to my local RSPCA (Great Ayton) and have contact's such as Bunny Burrows in Darlington, but no one has any Lionheds! I've already got a lop, and i'd like to give a home to another lionhead because they fascinate me - I just love the breed, not that other breeds of bunny's arent lovely!!

I guess I just don't want to make lilly wait that long because she's so sad
:(

Bradford is about 2 hours away from me, and the bunny run thing is great but it would worry me that someone went to all that effort to get a bunny to me and them for him and lilly not to get on if u get me??

P.S that lionhead baby bunny - RSPCA Medway is absolutley gorgeous! He is such a little sweetie! However that's in Kent - about 300 - 400 miles away from me!??! - see link!!

http://www.rspca-medway.co.uk/rabbits.htm

Back