• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
For the past 2 years, my friend and I have walked our dogs down a street with a rather large house for the neighborhood. Everytime we walk past the house we see a large, empty hutch sitting in their backyard. Well, yesterday my friend and I got up the courage to ring their doorbell and ask if we could buy the hutch off of them, and they said yes!! They sold it to my for $50 when I was planning on spending over $200 building one!! I am so happy! Also, this hutch is HUGE!! Its about 8 feet long, 2 or 3 feet deep, and 3 feet high!! I love it!!

But getting this hutch also made me realize something..my babies have to be outside this summer :cry:! I know they are going to be very safe, we're even putting up very high fence around the bunny pens/hutches. I'm just so worried about heat. I know to take them in ASAP it if gets 85* or above, but I'm so nervous that something might happen when I'm not there. I already know most of the cooling tricks like frozen water bottles, fans, ice cold water, and a cold hide-a-way that the could retreat to, but I still feel unsure. What do you guys use to keep your buns cool in the summer?? Please help....and I'll make sure to post piccies of my HUGE hutch tomarrow :D :D

We're lucky to get temps that high over here! :wink: So far mine have been ok - I have made sure they have a shaded bit but they seem to run to the sun! I have a parasol at the ready incase it ever does get hit here!! 8)

Mine love sunbathing, its hard to stop them.
I have a large dog bowl in the garden that I fill with water and ice cubes, and for some reason they like to nibble on the ice cubes.
I remember reading somewhere that white animals had to be careful in the sun (they burn and are more susceptible to skin cancer, don't know if it applies to bunnies).

Perhaps it may be better to put them outside in the late afternoon or early morning for a few hours when its cooler, then bring them inside during the hottest part of the day.

Back