• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water Bottles

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I am sure there was thread here a bit ago on water bottles, but I can not find it.

I am having problems with one of the hutches having wire that is a little less (hardly noticable really) taut than the others and the water bottles we have constantly leak. I can not find any other brands to try in the local pet shops or my usual on line suppliers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Water bottles

I get the red "bunny" water bottles - available from all good pet shops. Mine leak sometimes but what you are supposed to do is once you've filled it then hold it the way it hangs on the cage and give a few hard shakes so the ball settles at the end.

This should stop it dripping/leaking!

Also have u considered using a water bowl instead??? I had never cosidered it before but when my Jasper was at the vets they gave water to him in a bowl and I think that he drank better from that than from a bottle - so dont rule a bowl out!

Hope this helps!

Hi,

It is the red ones that we are using. I will try the shaking hard thing and see if it make any different.

I don't want to use a bowl as the problem is with the hutch my guniea pigs are in and as they share they already have 2 food bowl which they knock over when playing.

Thanks for the advice.

So you're after a bottle without a ball in it bascially - I use Mr Sippy water bottles, I'll see if I can find a link somewhere. The others that people always recommend are called Ezi Filla or something, I'll have a hunt for you.

Yeah shake it hard so it settles, I always put a bowl of water outside on the lawn when jazz is out so he doesent have to keep going in and out. he seems to like it :D

Thanks for all your help.

I will try the shaking things for a couple of days and if it still leak I will order one of the bottles from the link you provided.

Thanks again

you can get sippy water botles from Pets at Home.
The ezi-filla bottles are from http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/ezi-filla.html
Alternatively if they are leaking because the wire attaching them is very tight around the bottle you could try getting a short piece of net curtain wire(hope you know what i mean), the white stuff with metal inside that you use to hang net curtains up? :? or a large spring, You can then make it longer so that it isnt so tight around the bottle. I use the coloured bottles from Wilkinsons and they dont seem to drip but i have a loose holder for the bottle from my old ferplast cage that i use.

I know exactly what you mean by the net curtain wire!! I have a few larger wires from the really big bottles so I will try one of them.

Thanks for another idea!

with the larger bottles 600ML+ the trick is to fill it to the brim, screw the cap on and turn the bottle upsideown (the way it will sit in the hutch) Squeeze the bottle a little bit so some water shoots out. Stop squeezing and the bottle will suck back in and create the correct vaccum at the top of the bottle.

Large cable ties are also quite good for attatching bottles to a hutch or a run and very economical as well.

Janice

Back