• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

smokey keeps making nests

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
Smokey, my 1 year old unspayed doe keeps making nests I've heard about false pregnancies but she's always having them. She pulls furs off herself and stuffs it in her bedroom also she's got the runs and does'nt eat as much as she used to. Should I take her to the vets?

i would say its hormones as she wants babies also the weather can cause this and sometimes during the hot weather they tend not to eat as much
becky

Speying females certainly does help with reducing / eliminate false pregnancies however more importantly it reduces the risk of uterine cancers.

This is an extract from the RWF information on spaying female rabbits: 'Having female rabbits (does) spayed is even more important. Most females become territorial and aggressive from sexual maturity onwards (4-6 months). They have repeated false pregnancies, and may growl at, scratch and bite their owners as well as attacking other rabbits. Keeping two females together - even if they are sisters - can make things worse. Spaying reduces and sometimes eliminates these behavioural problems.

Spayed females are likely to live longer then their unspayed sisters. Up to 80% of unspayed female rabbits develop uterine cancer by 5 years of age. Females who are not spayed when young and in good health may have to undergo the operation in later life if pyometra (uterine infection) or cancer develops, although usually it is too late and the cancer has already spread.'

Back