• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest building/pregnancy advice needed

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
We happen to think that Smokey the school rabbit is pregnant. She looks a bit on the plump side and is making a nest as well as pulling fur out. How soon after the first sign of a nest should we move her sister out?

The 3 rabbits that lived together were sexed by the farm manager, but it turns out 2 are female and 1 male, not the 3 females he first thought. We are hurriedly trying to get the male to rebond with his 2 brothers in the other pen.

does usualy pull fur when the birth is iminant, so it may be too late, the other doe maywell be expecting as well. some rabbits are different but chances are that she will give birth soon. putting the buck back with the other bucks is not a good idea as i think u will have a lot of fighting on ur hands. val :( .Bucks dont get on together once they are adults and even if u get them castrated there is no promise that they will get on.Surly someone should have noticed that there was mating going on :? .Did noone at the school think to read up on rabbits before they got them?.Whoever told u that u can keep 3or 2 un castrated boys together wants there head read.I look after rabbits for the animalsamaritons and i often get rabbits come in that are boys that have been living together, and have come in with very bad wounds from the fighting that has been going on.It makes me very angry when this happens as it is well known that male rabbits will not live together whithout fighting.Puting ur male back with the other 2 boys is a disarster and may well end up with a trip to the vets.I think that schools should know beeter they have not done any homework on the care of the rabbits they intended to keep and have just relied on heresay. :(

All the rabbits are brothers and sisters so have been together for the last 9 months. They were dumped at the school by a parent who's 6 year old daughter had got fed up with them :( .
When they arrived they had been living together as one group, they were seperated into groups of boys and girls by our farm manager who has done this job for over 20 years.
When they first arrived they were underweight and one of the young females gave birth to some badly deformed babies, so one of the brothers must have had his wicked way with all the females.
The mother arrived some time later, and she too was underweight, but she lives on her own. All the rabbits were quite shy and not used to human contact, when they were picked up they would bite, scratch and kick out. After a couple of weeks they can just about tolerate being handled.
All the bunnies are now a healthy weight and have plenty of stimulation, one of their favourite games is hitting each other with empty toilet rolls.
When we tried to re-introduce the missing brother they have got on really well, better than expected as they spent 1 hour chasing each other aroud a neutral pen then the next hour having a mutual grooming session. Each day we are trying to increase the time spent togther.. but despite them not being castrated... its going really well.
The school farm is poorly funded at the moment (some thing of an LEA battlefield) so having 6 bunnies neutered is at the bottom of the list (I am trying to persuade them that the females are urgently in need of spaying). Especially as we have just had a Snowy owl dumped on us, the farm is working closely with the RSPB to sort this one out. Our farm seems to be the dumping ground for most unwanted animals, as we have numerous Snakes, Iguanas, Chinchillas, Donkey's, Hamsters and even a Bull. The RSPCA gave us a glowing report when they checked our premises, and approved our re-development plans........ but now the LEA is threatening to withdraw funding.
So you can see our dilema, we never turn away dumped animals and we always seek help if we can't handle them. My main priority is to sort out the pregnant female and hope that the other female is not pregnant as well. The last thing we need is a bunny explosion as we can only just handle the 6 we have got. Should any of the babies survive we expect them to have problems due to inter-breeding, so the babies would need experienced homes that could handle them.

there is not always a problem in brother sister matings , so u well may be lucky there. But i am left wondering why u are taking in animals u are not rearly up on ,u say ur farm manager has 20yrs experience but he carnt tell the sexes in rabbits ,which has led to more unwanted rabbits. Who is going to sex the new babies?, and how are u going to rehome them.? rehoming rabbits as any unwanted animal is hard and takes money and a lot of time i do not think that u have either. U should not take in unwanted animals unless u have the money and the experience to deal with them no matter how much u want to help, as inexperience leads to the kind of problems u are having now. val

Back