• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lops with one ear up and the other down - why?

kmcworm

Warren Scout
hi there I have a mini/dawrf lop cross who 90% of the time has one ear up and one down, is this quite common? Why does this happen?
It looks so sweet and comical.

:lol:

I also have her mother but she is a mini lop and has both ears down all the time.

Cheers

kath

Skip's brother had one ear up and one down but Skip has two lop ears. Might be a genetic fault?? :?

101_0010.jpg

Here's a pic

I have an angora with one uppy ear and one downy ear!!! She can stick it up but it tends to lop!!

they'll be some scratching of the ears aswell as usually head shaking. In the inside there will be scabs, and possibly bleeding from the scratcing. You may be able to see the mites aswell which are black. (i think i have this right! correct me if i'm wrong!)

My rabbit George also has one ear up one ear down....have seen both ears down on some occasions! :lol:

Must get a photo on!!! Im the only one without!!
Leesa.

normaly it just sometimes happens in litter u can get lops with really good ear carriage and some that will never lop, there are usulay ones who had smaller ears or light weight ears
becky

I dont think mine has got mites from what you have describes, I guess she's just as Rebecca says, or maybe she just canny make up her mind if she wants to be a lop or not :lol:

I only joined a few days ago and so far lots of people I have spoken to are all from Glasgow - just like me - didn't know there were so many bunny lovers here! cheers

kath

I've always wonder this as well. My little girl Fern was a helicopter ears, but once she got to about 5 yrs old she looked lopped - she still had the ability to make them go up if she wanted to. Her ears seem to be joined ot her head in a different place to Charlie's.

This is Fern when she was about 2 - proper helicopter ears, but the pic of he rin sig was when she was about 5, proper lop. I wonder what Lavenders will do as she gets older?
eba00141650f00000026.jpg

My old lop Phoebe had loppy down ears but one or both would always go up when she was listening to something or if she was running beside a wall!! :lol:

Sometimes it can be mites but usually I think it's to do with how heavy their ears are. Very large and heavy ears go full lop while "normal" sized rabbit ears stay upright. If they're not heavy enough to fully lop one may go while the other stays up. I think it's to do with the strenght of the muscles in the ears.

I've noticed that my lops have different degrees of ear control depending on the size. Jemima's are very long but quite narrow and she can hold one upright or both like aeroplane wings, although only for short periods of time. Dudley's are heavy and wide, he can hold them up a bit when he's really interested in something. Rosie's are the biggest and she has the least control, you can tell when she's holding them forward but it's quite subtle.

Just my observations :)

It's usually to do with how wide the crown is as to when they lop and if they have control of their ears or not...one of mine is like that, however it's her lopped ear at fault as she should be a sticky-up eared bun.

Back