• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

House rabbit advice

binkacat

Young Bun
Still looking into and carefully considerng whether to get 2 rabbits. So I have a couple of questions please;

We'd like to keep the rabbits inside quite a bit - I know that wires/leads, etc have to be put in tubing, but what else are house rabbits likely to damage. Should I be worried about my dining room table and sofa getting chewed?

Can they climb up the stairs - it would be lionheads or dwarf lops?

If we did want to keep them out the sitting room would a child stairgate be successful or would they jump over?

Would they scratch the carpets?

thanks

binkacat said:
Still looking into and carefully considerng whether to get 2 rabbits. So I have a couple of questions please;

We'd like to keep the rabbits inside quite a bit - I know that wires/leads, etc have to be put in tubing, but what else are house rabbits likely to damage. Should I be worried about my dining room table and sofa getting chewed?

Can they climb up the stairs - it would be lionheads or dwarf lops?

If we did want to keep them out the sitting room would a child stairgate be successful or would they jump over?

Would they scratch the carpets?

thanks

Have you read Tree's thing on bunny proofing in the rabbit care ref section? She pretty much covers everything.

They can get into anything, trust me! They may chew your dining room etc but Sophie has never attempted that, she digs the carpet and has chewed wires.

Sophie can climb stairs and some bun jump v high, so a stairgate may/may not be suitable depending on how your bun is!!!! :D

They can definitely climb stairs. I had a rex, a nethy and a dwarf lop when I was very young, and one of my most prominent memories of them is how funny I thought it was when you put them at the bottom of the stairs and they'd shoot up really fast! :lol:

Is it possible to do what i have done? I have two large pens for Sooty and Lolly made from wire panels. They are in there when I'm not around. If they are free in the living room i section off the tv and stuff with a collapsable dog guard. Works for me :D :D :D

If I could keep them in the kitchen and dining room I'd be fine as there's no wire's they could chew - just a carpet to scratch at :D

But there's no door - just an archway from the dining room to the hallway - and then the rest of the house is pretty much open plan.

The archway is narrow - which is why I thought of a stairgate.

Guess we could try and see how it goes. Worst come to the worst they'd only be allowed in the house when we were at home. The rest of the time they'd have to go in the hutch/run combo.

Do many of you let your rabbits have the run of the house while you're out?

I'll check out Tree's advice on bunny proofing now. Thanlks 4 that

The panels i was talking about can go across anywhere, Takea look at the Sooty and Lolly pics. If you need to just PM me :D

I have some foster indoor rabbits, some I am happy to leave out all the time such as the front toothless bunny the others get fined to either their cage / pen or the kitchen.

binkacat said:
Do many of you let your rabbits have the run of the house while you're out?

I'm afraid Sophie is locked in a very large dog crate while I'm out, I wouldn't have a house left if she was free range. It's for her own safety, as I don't want to imagine what she would get into without me supervising!!!!

Back