• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding and cages...

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
Now that blaise has been sucessfully neutered, my mind is on daisy. I got my final call from the rescue and I will be picking her up june 5th. I realized I will have to get more CC grids because I will need another cage until she is bonded with blaise, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.
I want to set up the cage sometime this week so I can all of the supplies and make sure its ready for her. Before I build the new cage, I was just wondering if I should set it up next to blaise's cage, or away from him. I know when I start the bonding process I will put their cages next to eachother, but for now what should I do? I dont want to stress her out too much by being right by another bun when she comes home, but will all of the stress make her bond towards him? They will be on blaise's territiory though....hmmmm...I"m not sure! Please help :D !

Not sure what is best but when i got Nala i put her cage in a different room for 2 days so she could settle in a little and get used to me first... then I moved her cage to the same room as Simba's so that one could be running around and sniff the other through the bars.

Now you've got me worried. I've built it adjoining Sooty and was puting Lolly in right away. I'll ask Phill whae she comes :roll: :roll: :roll:

Once you find out, if you dont mind could you let me know what you doing? Anyone else add a new bun into their family and has experience with this? Sorry if it feels like i'm rushing answers, I'm just very curious :roll: :lol: !

If shes been in a rescue i guess she will be used to the sight and smell of other buns. This might make it easier? :?

If the new bun is coming from a rescue cold you not ask them to pair them up for you? Then they both could come back to your place together in a carry case and you can then put them together from the start.

If we are struggling with a pairing we occassionaly put animals in pens next to each other so they can get used to their companion first before trying again. They can at least seek comfort from each other if they want to.

Janice

Okey, I will ask the rescue about that. If they wont pair them for me though, will it be too stressful being next to a territorial bun when she first comes home?

As Fiona says if she is a rescue bun she will be used to being around lots of other buns. I would give the area where they are going to be a good clean before she arrrives and put them next to each other.

All the rescues I have dealt with in our area all pair rabbits for people to ensure that both the rabbits are happy before they will rehome them. We have very few which go out for the people themselves to pair. I have the job of pairing Lorraines rabbits Bluebell and Maisie this weekend.

Back