• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fur plucking! Possible nest building???

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
I have just gone to clean Jess out and have noticed all the newspaper from her living area has been shreded and placed in her litter box along with, what appears to be her own fur/hair, this must have only happened overnight as it wasnt there last night when I fed her before going to bed. She is hosed on her own at the moment but does get to have regular exercise with Petey (in separate runs as Petey is not yet neutered vet says hes not quite ready) She has had occasional exercise time together with Twinkle (a female) but no mounting has occured.

Could she be having a phantom preganacy? We have had her for nearly 5 weeks so surely this is too long for her to have got pregnant before we got her isnt it?

We did try her momentarily with Petey in the first week we had her as we just wanted to see how they got on, but the minute he mounted her we immediatly separated them so I dont think he would have had the chance, also wouldnt they have been too young as Petey would have only been about 10wks old and Jess 8-10wks old at the time. Their ages now would be Petey 16-18 wks old, and Jess 14-16wks old.

what is the earliest age that does can have a phantom pregnancy?
and also should i clean her hutch out or will it upset her if I desturbed the "nest"

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 4 yr old spayed bun who builds nests in her hutch sometimes. she has been doing it recently. Its normal for buns to have phantom pregnancy.
If yours has been in contact with an unneutered male it might be best to get her checked out though.

it could just be where she can smell or since she has seen another male she thinks she is preggers Sugar used to do this acouple of months before she actually had babies because she used to flirt with the male next door (We have a wire fence between nieghbours) just because she saw him she thought she was having babies!!! silly moo!!! :lol:

Females are silly things really Pebbles was making nests last week, i think it is were she is 'coming of age'

Try and keep them apart until he has had his op and 6 weeks afterwards. just putting them together to find out if they get on you will find he will do nothing else but mount her he is a male with needs!!! :lol:

Gypsy lives with a neutered male and still has ago occationally. She pulls his fur out to make the nest too, poor lad :lol:

I'd give her a couple of days before cleaning otherwise she may well pull more fur out to make a new one. Just clean around the nest.

You might spot her running around with a mouth full of hay too. Its quite funny as they look like they have false whiskers on ;)

Tam

Does can get pregnant at 14 weeks so I suspect that she has just 'matured' and is having a bit of a phantom pregnancy.
As Tamsin says, leave her nest if you can as she will get distressed if you move it and will only re-make it. Might also explain why she has been a bit funny with Louis through the wire.
Oh no Debbie, you are the mum of teenagers!

donna-arc said:
Does can get pregnant at 14 weeks so I suspect that she has just 'matured' and is having a bit of a phantom pregnancy.
As Tamsin says, leave her nest if you can as she will get distressed if you move it and will only re-make it. Might also explain why she has been a bit funny with Louis through the wire.
Oh no Debbie, you are the mum of teenagers!

:roll: Oh no...........teenages phantom preganacies, fights!!..........................It will be all night parties and coming home late next!! :roll: :roll: TEENAGERS!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL I love them running around with hay in their mouths... this is Max doing it before the real kindling happened...
Maxybuildingnest.jpg

We have does that build nests in the rescue centre lots... mostly the ones that are in with males... they're obviously just secretly hoping... :( :D

Ty, she's a lovely girl... and she was a really good mummy too! :D She looked after the kits well... then got fed up with them clinging onto her for milk at around 6 weeks and that was it. She now hates them all! :? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When my neighbours bun had babies she had clearly had enough of them by 7 weeks even though she had been should a good mum.

I can understand why though! Just the thought of having 6 growing sharp teeth biting at you for milk! *shudder* I'd be running away thumping too! :lol:
Oh btw, we decided we liked the name Blossom, so my new little girl is now called Blossom! 8) :D Don't tell your Blossom that we stole her name! ;)

My female I had for 7 years used to build a nest every spring. I used to have to leave it there when I cleaned her out because she would make another one if I took it away.

Back