• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lily Alert

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I don't know if anyone else saw this in the paper but the RSPCA has launched a emergency campaign about Oriental Stargazer Lilies after a cat has died.

The cat had brushed against the flowers getting pollen on it's coat, she then licked herself clean and was violently ill. She dies a few hours later after suffering blindness, liver failure, sickness and dehydration. :(

The lily has a white outline on its petals and has a pink middle. I have just checked a bunch of flowers someone bought me only to find these same lilies !!!!!! :!: :cry:
I have now removed them from my lounge (where Skip lives) and put then on a high ledge in the kitchen as the pollen from these flowers tends to get everywhere if you knock them !! All parts of this lily are extremely toxic, less than one leaf eaten by a cat can be fatal. It doesn't state how it affects other animals but i wouldn't want to risk it :?

My flowers where bought from Tesco so please people keep a eye out as most bunches do contain lilies.....

ooh thats a worry..
My sister's favourite flowers are stargazer lillies.. she only has a boxer as a pet.. no small animals but he often gets pollen on him where he sniffs them or brushes against them.. he's never been ill from them but i guess you never know.

I think they are highly dangerous to cats from what i have found on the net but i still wouldn't like to risk Skip getting near them just in case :?

My mum loves these lillies, she doesn't have any pets but she always removes the pollen. It gets everywhere and stains stuff too. Is it poisonous to humans?

apparently not very poisonous to humans or dogs according to the paper but no idea how rabbits are affected!

hi

a lot of the lists you find on 'poisonous plants' are not bunny related but cat related - cats seem to be very easily poisoned - even paracetamol kills them. Better safe than sorry with bunnies as there's no bunny specific list that I've found.

Edana and the boys :love:

with plants in my garden i have a few evergreens which are known as poisonous ie, cooteneaster but the bunnies have always avoided them, they have never touched my daffodils either

apart from the time they destroyed my poisonous tomato plant and suffered no ill effects

lisa

humans can suffer reactions to lillies too - although it's more of an allergy risk I think.

We better be careful, we have a few lillies in our garden.

Martin

Keep an eye out for this
Lily%20Stargazer.JPG

HTH

omg, I have them all the time :? And I have some sort of lillies in the garden - I think they are tiger lillies, does that make any difference? Sophie isn't in the garden, but we have 2 cats that live next door and wouldn't want them to come to any harm.

Well... I'll just have to tell the boyf it's red roses from now on :wink:

Thanks for the warning! It's always good to know these things.

I've got these flowers in my room right now...but I've not got a cat, and they're high up on the table where the buns can't get to them. It'd be interesting to find out what develops from this, though, maybe they'll find out more about flowers and pets...

Back