• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What shall I do?

Hi All

I posted on here I think last year about my bunnies.

I have Calvin who is a dutch bunny, buck and is 3 years old, he was in with a lop-eared bunny Smarty, buck but he passed away :(
I felt sorry for Calvin being on his own, so I got another bunny Rory who is a lionhead buck at the time I was advised this would be fine and they would get along.
Well 6 months down the line it is just not happening, they are both in separate hutches. I have finally reliased that Calvin will always be on his own now, but I feel sorry for Rory the lionhead rabbit as he is on his own, do you think getting a female bunny would be ok to go in with him? It was always the intention that they would go together.

Oh they have both been neutered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kel, Rory n Calvin :)[/b]

There is no reason why both bunnies could not have a girlfriend each. It is very difficult to bond same sex bunnies, but usually not a major problem to bond different sexes. So really, neither of your bunnies needs to be alone. :wink:

Vera

Re: help

.::.whiterabbit.::. said:
i might get my baby bunnie a friend but must neuter first!!! how much does it cost???

it varies between all vets but id say for a boy anything up to about £55 and girls are a bit more

Thanks for that, next question though! Sorry

Would you get a baby girl bunny or maybe one that is abit older?
Would you make them use to each other over a period of time?

Thanks again

Kel, Calvin n Rory

ok

well why dont you put them in a run together for a couple of hours then when they are completly used to each other (after a couple of weeks????) introduce them in a brand new cage because if you put one in the others ones home thats been its home all its life it might care about the other one stealing its teritory- does this make sense???
amyx

hi, i normally pair up some of the bunnies for ARC and find that it is normally easy to pair up male and female pairs, as long as both rabbits are neutered. i wouldnt put a baby girl in with an adult male as there can be a bit of chasing when pairing up and you would stress the baby. have you looked at any rescues around by you, they might even be able to do the pairing up for you, i know that we do. you shouldnt need to buy them a brand new hutch, just make sure you clean the other one before putting them back in together.

where abouts are you? we are in the twickenham area...
www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk

sophie

for my buck it cost £38 and for my doe it cost £48 which is pretty good comparing to other prices

lisa

Hi Sophie

I am in the North East area.

I just feel so sorry for both of them really. Ideally I would like them both to have girls with them but just unsure if this would happen and I no not want to be in the same boat and they not get on so I end up with all bunnies in different hutches if that makes sense!

Thanks again :)

Kel, Calvin n Rory

hi

Well you could just try taking Rory along to a rescue near you that routinely spays its girls, and see if he gets on with any of the spayed females (bit easier to bond a spayed female)...

If there's not outright hatred at first sight they will probably be OK given time - and if you cleaned Rory's hutch thoroughly before setting off, you might find that an hour in a cat carrier together in the car would successfully bond them.

But just incase, have an indoor cage/dog crate or outside hutch ready for the newcomer....So long as they don't take an instant violent dislike to each other, there's every possibility that they will eventually accept each other - but you will just have to put in a few, 20 minute sessions a day until they do.

Edana and the boys :love:

aah, definately get them both a sister each. we r deciding when to get charlie a adopted sister, as he lived with his mum and 3 sisters not long ago (before/during rescue) and now he's all alone!! mind u, he has billions more human/doggy attention than ever before)!!

i think that you should phone up some rescues and see if they will help you out with the pairing up. is rory neutered? if you go to a rescue it is most likely that the girls are spayed, so they will be easier to bond. as long as you are prepared to keep an eye on the buns when they are bonded i think pairing up should be fine.

Hi everyone

Thanks for your help, I have just found the local rspca centre so I will see what they say.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Kel, Calvin and Rory

Back