• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dunno what to do!!!! :(

FlipFlop

Mama Doe
Gir's started ripping the wallpaper off the walls and eating it. I can't exactl cover all the walls, and we live in a rented flat, I really don't know what to do :cry: :cry:

oooh yes Simba had a bout of doing that too! Then he started on the curtains.. now his latest thing is skirting boards :roll: I have some citronella pet training spray which is supposed to deter them from chewing.. not sure it works or not or whether he just gets board of chewing it. Certainly stinks your flat out for a few hours tho :?
If you see him doign it clap your hands and shout OI or NO. I found if i chased him off he would do it elsewhere like a game of chasey

p.s. i remember someone saying Dove soap is good as a deterrant but not sure if you can wipe that all over your walls

I found that Skip did this in a house i rented, but it only seemed to temp him if the wallpaper was already peeling off the wall a bit.

Now we have moved he doesn't do it. :lol:
Although my curtains/pillows/bedcovers/ikea lamp etc have nibbles and holes all over them..... :shock:

One of our Cat's went through a stage of scratching the wallpaper.

We got a brand new spray bottle, filled it with water. Whenever she scratched on the walls we squirted her and said "NO" in a firm voice. She soon got the gist!

I'm sure it would work with Rabbit's too.

Louise

is there anything else around you can use to attract her attention ?

we had someting similar with Jaro - so we tried to make it hard for him to get where he wanted, and used other things (cardboard boxes work well) for him to concentrate on - these were then placed on his 'route' to the wallpapered areas.

some toys might work well too.

We tried saying no to him - but he never seemed to get the hang of that :).

Yalta had a penchant for skirting boards, so we hung various hay / grass toys from the wall just above that ended in front of the skirting boards - and that seemed to do the trick - esp once she realised that whaking them made them swing.

Martin

He's got loads of toys and cardboard boxes :roll: I'm gonna try to water bottle spray idea, and we have clapped our heads, stamped our feet, shouted no chased him away and he still goes back for more :shock:

Dookie used to have that exact same problem. At first, I tried a few of the bitter-tasting sprays...but he didn't mind those at all. In fact, he seemed to like it, as it just made him lick the walls. I tried squirting him with water as well, and that made him run away when I did it, but a few minutes later he would just go back to chewing. Eventually I stuck double-sided tape on his favorite chewing spots, and he hated getting his whiskers stuck to it, so he stopped.

The downside of the double-sided tape is that you have to make sure that it doesn't peel your wallpaper off when you decide you want to remove it.

Little ******* aren’t they – but cute little ******* at that! :lol:

I would either keep a close eye on him OR maybe try getting a puppy pen or both! They do grow out of it as they get older though. :wink:

oh I think we can all empathise - they get a bee in their bonnet about something and for the next few weeks thats all they want to do. I've tried nasty tasting dog sprays etc but they didn't work. Someone told me to put eucalyptus oil in water and spray it onto the skirting baords to stop Charlie chewing them. I moved house and we have no skiritng boards so I never actually tried it - could be worth a go.

Otherwise I swear by the water pistol :oops: or at one point we had a bucket of foam pieces that we used to throw at him!

(bit of an aside but this just reminded me of an advert that was on TV and on posters in the tube several years ago, I think it was for photocopiers but the skirting boards in the advert were brushed steel - thats what we all need!!! :lol: :lol: )

Someone told me to put eucalyptus oil in water and spray it onto the skirting baords to stop Charlie chewing them

That reminds me, someone had told me to mix chili powder with water and spray it on the areas Dookie liked to chew. It sounds horrible I know, but I was desperate! He had begun to make a mess of my walls!

Anyway, I tried it, and just mixing the stuff into the water made my eyes water and my nose burn! I sprayed it onto the walls, and Dookie still insisted on chewing! I swear, bunnies have steel taste buds!

You can stick the edges down with childrens pva, it drys clear and is non toxix incase he's still chibbling ;) Block areas off where you can and you can also try sticking clear perspex over the bottom part of the wall. He might like newspaper of old yellow pages to shred instead.

Tam

Back