• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!!(oliver and his neuter)

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
As you know, I had oliver neutered last thursday and everything went great. Since then, he hasn't been eating. I have given him loads of hay, veggies,and pellet and still no luck. Also, last night I marked his water bottle and today the water is still at that mark. I'm very worried about my little ollie but the vet is not open today. I was just wondering how you go about feeding them the mushed food and water? Do you let them lick it or force them to eat it? Please help as soon as possible!!

I was just reading through "Bun Badly Constipated" and saw that mixing pellet and Pedialyte may get a bun to eat. Does it? Sorry it I seem kind of desperate..but I am. I dont think he has eaten much since thursday and hasn't drank. So if anyone knows how to make the mixture...please help!

xx oliver and his worried mommy xx

I've never had to do this but I think if you mix the pelletts with water you can then syringe feed it, but you have to be careful they don't choke on it. Think you need to grind them down then add a bit of water at a time until they are syringe-able.

You could also try syringing just water.

Is he pooing?

Is there an emergency vet you could call in your area for advice?

Yes there is an emergancy vet in the area...I'm thinking about it right now. He hasn't been pooing much since thursday. I haven't cleaned his litter box so I can see how much...and its not a lot at all. He hasn't been weeing much either...I just dont know what to do. If you were in my situation would you syringe him the food and water until tomarrow when the vet is open or take him to the emergance vet today. I dont know....:(

i think i'd take him to the emergency vet today then at least your mind would be at rest. do you know if this vet is any good with bunnies?

I have no clue, luckly I have never had to go there until this point. I'm going to get some more info on the vet and see how experienced they are with bunnies....:(

I think I'd go to the emergency vet. I don't think I'd like to chance waiting till tomorrow. :(

Have you tried rubbing his tummy?

No, I haven't tried rubbing his tummy, what will that do? Also, I'm going to try syringe feeding him at least once before going to the emergancy vets....how often should I do it?

I've never done it myself, but massaging the tummy is supposed to be good for constipated bunnies as it moves things around a bit I think.
Not sure how often to syringe feed. Probably really small amounts every 10-15 minutes?
If only they could speak and let us know what was wrong!

I know...I just made the mushed up pellet and water and put it into the syringe and I cant get it into him. He wont let me hold him and open his mouth. Has anyone had to syringe and can you tell me a good way to hold him?? I'm such a mess today...I was suposed to go get wood and supplies for an outdoor pen but that doesn't look like its going to happen. This is the same thing that happened with charlie(not eating)..what is my luck of having it again....I guess a lot :(

It seems to be a really common problem with rabbits doesn't it, unfortunately. My outdoor bunnies, who are much bigger than squidgy, never seem to have any tummy problems. It's really strange
When i've syringed stuff into squidgy's mouth, i hold both sides of his mouth and put the syringe into his cheek and syringe the food in really slowly and not much at a time. Have you someone else who can help you? It's sometimes easier if there are two of you.

Yes, my mother and I just did it. I dont have the money to take him to the emergancy vet, even though I would really like to. I am going to keep syringing food to him until I can take him to the vet as soon as possible monday. So every 15 mins I should do this? Thank you so much for you help!! anymore suggestions or comments...please feel free :) :( :(

it may distress him if he's being forcefed all the time. make sure he's got some food and water inside him, maybe an hour's worth, then let him rest for a bit, to let his system process it all. I'm not an expert though, so i hope someone else is around for more advice!
have you tried him with pineapple juice? apparently boiled water, cooled down a bit, is good too. squidgy has nothing but boiled water now - spolit little boy.
keeping fingers (and paws) crossed for you.

No, I haven't tried pinaple juice...I will go get some later tonight! Thank you so much for talking me through this, you have really helped me a ton!!

hi

I put a link on the constipated bunny thread - it's got all about the treatment he needs, and how to force feed etc - but if he's been like this since Thursday it's urgent he sees a vet as he's probably getting dehydrated - a vet can give him subcutaneous fluids if you ask him to (vet might not bother otherwise) The main risk is liver damage if toxins build up in the gut - fluids will help flush it all through.

Meanwhile you might find the link helpful
http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

I really wish I could take him to the emergancy vet, but the only one experienced around my is way too expensive. I am very close friends with our regular ver so I am going to ask her to take him in first thing in the morning. To keep water in him so he doesn't dehydrate should I syringe him water/food through the night? every hour or so?

Yes I completely agree if your bunny has had this problem since Thursday then it is an emergency, I feel that you should not wait to take him to the vets, as they can give drugs to stimulate his guts.
Trying to give Charlie food yourself is all very well, but it is the fluids he really needs, and the Vet can give this under the skin to rehydrate him.
Time is of the essence with these things, and we take bunnies straight to the vets within a day or so of their not eating, so that the drugs to stimulate the guts can be given.
It should not cost too much money for these drugs, and fluid under the skin though, then you can try feeding the bunny at home.
Charlie wont eat if his guts have slowed down or stopped , he needs drugs to get the gut working, and fluids to help push things through.
Has he passed any droppings at all, if so, when? what did they look like?
Is he drinking?

best wishes and good luck

Getting water / diluted pineapple juice into him is your priority, I would not worry about food just yet, fluids are the most important thing at this stage. He may get stressed with you syringeing too many things, just see how he takes the water first.
I would give him 3mls of water every hour till bedtime, and then perhaps once throughout the night...and then from earlymorning every hour till you get him to the vets.
Be careful that he does swallow the fluid as you slowly give him some by syringe, as if he does not take it properly it can go into his lungs..place a finger under his throat and you will feel him swallowing it. If he refuses to swallow the fluid, then it really is an emergency and you need to get to the vet asap. A rabbit can die within 12 hours from dehydration :(

I hadn't noticed him drinking at all and marked his water bottle last night, and the water is still at that line. He has gone poo a bit, but they are very small and hadn't gone nearly as much as he should. I am gong to talk to my mother about taking him in the the emergancy vet...I guess I'll be right back. :(

Back