• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my female bunnies - Should I give up?

Lorraine

Young Bun
I have a bit of a problem trying to bond my two female bunnies. It is a bit of a long story, but I got an unwanted male rabbit last summer from my builder, so I got a baby female (Maisie) from my friend in the hope of bonding them together once they had been neutered. Anyway, when the male rabbit (Bluebell) went to be done, 'he' turned out to be 'she'! I have tried bonding them together and got to the stage (over several months) of the two of them being happy together in a run on the grass and in separate cages at night. I then had Maisie spayed and found that I was back to square one on the bonding process. This time it was much quicker and they were getting on really well lying in the sun together and licking each other. BUT on Easter Sunday Maisie (who had always been submissive) decided to mount Bluebell over her head (which she didn't mind at first) and ended up having her vulva almost ripped off! She is OK now (although doesn't quite have normal anatomy) but now I don't know what to do with them! Can you help!!!

:shock: :shock: I am not an expert bonder, I have bonded bunnies, but didn't experience anything like that, there will be someone along in a minute to help. :D

welcone to the forum.

I used to have Pan (old english) Bonded with lavender and hester. i unfortunatly ended up with baby's from all threeand had to split them. After the baby's had gone i managed to get hester and lavender to go back together and are now inseprable, but pan is a real problem, every couple of months she changes her mind as to who she wants to live with!! after 2 years she has lived with five different rabbits and attacked each one after a few months. i have finnaly managed to bond her with toffee and they seem quite happy, she is going to be nuetered on monday and i am going to attempt to bond Pan, toffee, holly and patch as a new family this will hopefully work but personallity's may be the problem. i'm sorry this is not much help. You may just be able to perciver and get tham back tpgether good luck :D

Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to someone who lives locally who has got 29 bunnies, and she doesn't think that I will be able to get them to properly bond. Bluebell does seem to be lonely even though it is her causing all the problems, so I don't know whether to get a neutered buck to go with her. :?
My husband won't be pleased though, as I promised him I would only have one hutch!

I would try a buck with Bluebell but if I were you I'd do it via a rescue so that she gets to pick her mate and hopefully she will choose one she likes! :)

Hi Lorraine
At this rescue we don't even try to bond same sex pairs anymore.
It can be done but can result in such bad fights that we don't do it anymore.
We have a pair of sisters and a mother and daughter pair here (who have been together all their lives, so they didn't need bonding) but even they have their disagreements sometimes - and they don't seem to love each other in the way our male/female pairs do. Having said this there are many people on here whos same sex pairs are lovely together.
Another thing to consider is, once bonded, to separate same sex (even for a short time) will put you back to square one.
If I were you I'd find a local rescue that will bond your two girls with 2 of their boys. And as a bonus two more rabbits get a lovely home!
Whatever you decide, I wish you luck x

hi

I was wondering about this too - my 2 boys are neutered brothers, and Benji is clearly the boss, but the sunshine seemed to go to Pepper's head the other day and he started mounting Benji - Ooops, Benji was NOT amused! Chasing and fur flying until Pepper grovelled in submission again...Wondered if it was a Spring thing? - they've only pulled a bit of fur twice in the 6 weeks I've had them, but the rest of the time they seem to love each others company, so I won't panic just yet - although I am looking for an excuse to get 2 girly bunnies :wink:

<~~~~~~~~~ starts to panic now :?

I was hoping to bond my three boys in the very near future they have all recently been castrated and I was waiting for their hormones to settle before I tried the bonding process.

They all live together in the same shed and are only separated by mesh, so they can see each other and smell each other 24/7 They snuggle up to each other either side of the mesh and seem to like each other.

Think my Hubby just may leave if I say I need three girlie rabbits :lol:

Have now 'persuaded' hubby to let me get a buck to go with at least one of the girls, as long as i get one from a rescue centre. :)

I now need to find a recsue centre near me.
Does anyone know of one in the Bournemouth/Southampton area?

yay!!! More bunnies for you Lorraine!!! :lol: :lol: Good luck!! I'd love another bunny, Sophie just wouldn't though! :(

Back