Thread: Grooming long-haired buns query

Default Grooming long-haired buns query

Hi, can someone tell me realistically how much time you spend per day brushing your long-haired bunny/ies? Do you have to brush them every day? (By long-haired I mean the all-over type, eg Angora).

I am interested as it will help me decide whether or not this type of bunny might be suitable for me when I get my next pair. Thanks
    Sylvia & Oli, Humphrey & Saffie, Paula & Albert
    www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk
    [url]

Hiya Angoras take 15 minutes plus grooming daily unless you keep them trimmed up, and just wire comb the short fur.
    However, there are other things to consider such as not keeping them on sawdust (just on vet bed) and provide a hay rack..give regular preventative treatment for furballs (Kittymalt once a week for life), and they do not make good outdoor bunnies with all that long fur, so they thrive best as housebunnies.
    This is just a guideline, some Angoras take more grooming than others, and you need to put a hairdryer over their fur daily, as this exposed the developing matts.
    Hope this helps

Wise Old Thumper

my over fluffy pair take about 5mins each a day.. sometimes less, sometimes little bit more if there are knots or they are moulting heavily.
    Chris
    Mum to Dylan the lionhead, and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala, Fifi and Daisy xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Adele
    (Kittymalt once a week for life),
    Should I be giving Marley that?
    Click here to see the bunnies available for homes at Underhill Rabbit Rescue

REW bunnies are home and they're all gorgeous

Poppy, Sparkle, Gnasher and Matilda

Please sponsor my Everest trip for Underhill Rabbit Rescue which will be done in April 2014
    Underhill Rabbit Rescue fundraising for Everest page (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Diddeen
    my over fluffy pair take about 5mins each a day.. sometimes less, sometimes little bit more if there are knots or they are moulting heavily.
    Same with Ralf. :wink:

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Adele
    (Kittymalt once a week for life),
    Should I be giving Marley that?
    Adele is talking about Angoras i think Tree.. Marley doesnt look that long haired is he? I give mine it now and again when they are moulting but not the rest of the time.
    Chris
    Mum to Dylan the lionhead, and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala, Fifi and Daisy xxxx

Jack has long hair, but is not an angora: I spend about 5-10 minutes a day grooming him usually, but when he is having a heavy moult I have to groom him for about 30 minutes a day (15mins in morning and 15 mins in the evening, for about 6weeks: he's just had one).

If I don't groom this much his fur gets matted and he gets hairy poo.

He seems to really enjoy being groomed so sometimes I do it for longer. I'd love to own an angora: I collect the fur to spin and weave with.

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    I collect the fur to spin and weave with.
    Joey's only got short hair but he's just had a really heavy moult and I was thinking the same thing!
    Personalised bunny yarn, we could make a fortune! A cushion cover made from your own bunnies excess fur!
    Julie x