• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EYES-HELP

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
hello, I have been noticing some problems with my bun Blaise's eyes. They have been really red and irritated. Well, when I posted some pictures of him the "pictures and stories" section I asked people if they knew what it was. Now I'm getting more concerned because I want to get him treated, but I didn't ver a vet apt. until next week. Please, if anyone knows what this is please, please help.

DSCN2474.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

make sure you take a look at his eye....thanks for the help!

Also, I was informed by a very nice forum member that his eyes looked like they did for their bun on the early stage of myxi. First of all, I am not very educated on bunny illnesses, so can someone please describe to me what it is? Also, I do live in the U.S and do they give vaccinations here? Also, how do you pronounce myxi...so I can ask my vet. As you can tell, I am really not educated about rabbit illnesses..and I really am not proud of it. Hopefully you guys can help me out....please! thanks so much...

Thanks..I just got your message. I just really want to be safe and make sure he is O.K...if it sounds like I'm freaking out about this...I am. hehe...

yes its always better to be safe then sorry. and hopefully it will be nothing at all !!and its just me worrying that what happened to me will hapen to u

I would say more so that he has an irritation by his eyes - could be anything really irritating him. Bathe in cool salted water and do this a few times a day. If you see any lumps or bumps coming up around his face then off to the vets immediately.
Try the bathing first and see if that helps him - is there anything new that he has been in contact with?

Usually with myxy you see swelling around they eye/eye lids rather than just redness.

Is there any discharge?

I agree with Jay bathe with salt water and see if that improves it.

Tam

An excellent Herb for eyes is Eyebright. Its brilliant for inflammation/swelling etc. I use it a lot as one of my eyes often gets sore and irritated. You can buy it as a dried herb from most health shops which you can then make into a tea, which if then let to go cold can be used with cotton wool to bath and soothe the eyes.

I've never heard of bathing Eye's with salt water. Would of though it would sting?

Louise

No, there has been no discharge. I just came back from the vet's with my dog and I explained what has been going on with Blaise. She is pretty sure its just irritation also, and there is nothing much to worry about. She also told me if i see anything differant to bring him right in, otherwise I'll just wait for his apt. next thursday. I dont think he has been exposed to anything new lately. Thanks for all the help and if you have any new suggestions feel free! hehe... :)

I'm not sure if they have myxomatosis or the vaccine for it in the US. Write the word down to show it to the vet if you're not sure how to pronounce it.

ellepotter said:
I've never heard of bathing Eye's with salt water. Would of though it would sting?

It does sound that way but its just like home made saline. The tears in your eyes are salty anyway so this is just like extras. You can do the same thing for humans for gunky eyes so nope it doesn't sting :)

Tam

Yep i used salt watar because everyone said it was just an eye infection because they looked exactly the same as your buns!!
but turned out to be myxi ! Yours wont be though .. hopefully!! how are they today?

Blaise's eyes are the same as yesterday...there has been little to no change since it first appeared. Just has gotten a little bit redder...

I have used salt water on my bunny's eyes - it really helped when Zeus' eye infection got very bad.

My Athena's eyes look like Blaise's and she hasn't got myxi, she has been a bit unwell recently (tummy problems) but they don't look inflamed.

Caz

Awwwww...hope she feels okey. I haven't used the eyedrops yet...going to wait for tonight when I get all of my energy and strength to hold the crazy boy down. haha

It isn't getting worse at all, and I had to cancel his check up apt. because of oliver's emergance apt. I set another apt. up for tomarrow so I'll let you all know! thanks for asking!

Back