• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I sucessfully bond three rabbits?

5cutebunnies

Mama Doe
Hi there bunnie lovers :D

I have 15 month old male rabbit being neutered as I type and two of his nephews who are now Nine months old and are also at the vets being neutered today.

They currently share the shed and runs but are devided by mesh, so they know each other well by sight and smell, they often snuggle up together by the mesh they will even lick each other through the mesh and seem to be very friendly.

I just wondered what the general opinion was about three buns living together in harmony? As this is what my daughter and I would like to happen in the near future.

You should be able to bond them, most people on the forum have bonded pairs or familys. You ned to find a neutral space and let the three of them in to it, keep a towel on standby in case of any real fights but ignore dominant mounting. You can try to rub a little tee tree oil on all of them first so they don't smell to different, but don't expect succses first time. If they have personality clashes then it is unlikely they will live together but it really is a case of try it and see. Hope all goes well and keep us updated. :D

I have a bonded four, I did have to send them away to Adele's to be bonded as my nerves couldn't take it, but think it depends on the bunnies.

09765636.jpg

I used to have a bonded three, now a bonded four but they were 1 male, two female - so not sure whether three boys would get along. You can only try. It may be worth reading up on the various bonding threads as we have all have experienced different experiences and difficulties. However, the usual ruling is swap their homes about so they are used to each others smells then introduce them on neutral territory i.e. where none of them have been before, you can expect mounting, bottom nipping a bit of fighting, maybe even a full scale scrap, but persevere as long as you can without separating them (as long as they are not trying to kill each other) - good luck and have fun reading all the threads on this subject - we all have grey hairs through our bonding experiences.

Thanks for your answers I do also have a bonded male/female pair that we got from the RSPCA on monday and they are so in Love and live in the children wooden playhouse as they have out grown it, they have their own private patio :D

I would just like the same for my three buns, how long should I give them to get over the op before I try introduce them? I will of corse be asking the vet these questions this evening when I am allowed to pick them up but the more advice the better I think :D

It depends on the vet (re time) but i've always given them about two weeks and of course made sure there eating, drinking and pooing enough!!

Its more difficult to bond boys and more difficult to bond trio's BUT the way you describe their behaviour does sound promising, and difficult doesn't mean impossible :D

I would leave 6 weeks after the op, they'll be healed in two but it takes longer for their hormones to go and they are what causes the problems.

Make sure you introduce them somewhere neutral and not in their usual runs.

Tam

Hi, I have been thinking the same myself lately. I wanted to bond a third to my existing pair but having been in contact with local rescues and orgs about their experience, I have decided to adopt another bonded pair and keep them separate because I do not want to risk splitting my two up (they are totally in love).

Also with mine it comes down to their personalities - Oli is terrified of everything except Sylvia, and I don't think he would cope with the stress of adding another boy (or even girl!), while Sylvia can be rather territorial and so I don't think could cope with another girl. So another pair is the answer for me...

Good luck with your bonding and let us know how it goes. b-m

ps Tree your buns are absolutely gorgeous. :)

Hi thought i would introduce you to my babies

100_6261.jpg

This is Blossom our newly rescued bunnie, she has had such a hard time of it. Below is her with her Hubby Bramble.

100_6252.jpg

100_6205.jpg

This hansome chap is Binky and having his bits removed today along with bernard and panzy

100_6201.jpg

The next is Panzy my daughters favourite as you can see he sometimes wears a crown because she says he is the king!

100_5956.jpg

And finally my favourite Bernard doesnt he just melt your heart>

Ooooooo forgot to say ...

I have rang the vets, they have all come out of the ops fine they are moving around well but havent eaten anything yet I need to ring back at 4.30 will let you know if I can bring them all home tonight.

fingers crossed hope so

I have the bunnies back from the vets two are doing fine and are eating but Panzy is worrying me he is still yet to eat anything, I have given him a little bit of everything he loves, grass dandelion leaves,cabbage, broccoli, carrots, apple, celery, and his ultimate favourite Banana but nothing has tempted him :cry: I have a sachet of "Recovery" which I will have to syringe feed him later if he has not eaten anything.

Did this happen to anyone elses buns straight after neutering???

When did he come out of the op?

My Joey was done last week and it took him a wee while to eat anything after it. He lay and slept for most of the night after it.

Right panic over :D Panzy is eating well, wee and droppings were slow coming, over 24 hours before he managed to pass anything. But he seems fine now if not a little down in the dumps, not quite his happy self.

A question for you all, the vet said to keep them warm and quiet, I forgot to ask how long for.

They have been confined to inside and seem desperate to go outside, they had the ops on Thursday, what do you think folks, shall I let them out for a short while? I will remove all their toys and the boxes they love to climb on, so they can just have some fresh air and more space. Panzy loves to be outside what ever the weather and because he is being kept in may this is making him feel abit down.

Any suggestions would be most helpful

Back